Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5s w/ 6" lift help me out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

K5s w/ 6\" lift help me out

In a Blazer (1976) equiped with a V8, th350 and 205 fixed yoke and 12 bolt (preferably cv shaft equiped), what's the d-shaft length if you run this set up??

Now, on a Blazer equiped with the same stuff and a 14 bolt, what's the length?
    trying to budget this darn project and this will let me know if I can run what I have for a while before I tear into it.

I have a 2" add-a-leaf and 3.5" or 4" tapered blocks and need to aim the 14 bolt pinion at the t-case output anybody know what degree shims I will need?

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Re: K5s w/ 6\" lift help me out

Come on now! help a brotha out! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well when I did mine I called Tom Woods driveshafts and he asked me what I had and he figured it out and sent me the right length so I don't know.

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

hey brother,
    I don't have any numbers for you but i know this. A 12bolt is the "shortest" pinion, and the 14 bolt pinion is the longest. So, depending on how much flexing you do, a shaft length might be needed just for the axle change. I'm sure you could limp around town with a shaft the wrong length though. Ex: get one a bit short made until the 14 is swapped or ex.2 just hang on to that 12 shaft and wait to get one made until the 14 goes under.
    Something like that....
    the pinion angles must be measured on every truck.
    Blake

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i'm about to swap a 14b under truck, from a 12b. think my shaft will still fit? it was about 4" too short fully closed.

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I have a 2" add-a-leaf and 3.5" or 4" tapered blocks and need to aim the 14 bolt pinion at the t-case output anybody know what degree shims I will need?

[/ QUOTE ]

my recomendation- you'll probably have to move the perches as it is, so why now just weld them so you have a stright pinion angle? that's my plan. if you don't have to move the perches i would reccomend the extra work anyway. they aren't expensive if you don't want to reuse the old ones.

7. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

It will probably bolt up as is, assumming you change to a conversion ujoint. But you will have little to no compression travel on your shaft and your rear suspension. If you take a good bounce on your rear, your shaft could bottom out and crack your transfer case of something crazy like that. It all depends on how much you can flex and how much you actually do it. You will have to measure to make sure though.
    Blake