Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

kabloowie!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

there goes the radiator...*huge puddle of green gushing fluid pours out underneath my rig* :)
    Just thought I'd share...I have to drop it off at the local shop in the morning and pick it up after work ;)

$312 I'll never see again :( Thats almost a tire right there!

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what caused that? swapping in a rad is a piece of cake, do it urself

3. stout87k5

stout87k5 Registered Member

save your money. it will cost about half of that to do it your self and it is pretty easy.i did it in a couple of hours in the drive way after work

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Ahhhhh...young grasshoppa!

Confucious say: The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.

MuddinManny translates:

Flush your cooling system once a year or you experience the old American Axiom:[​IMG]

Sorry about your troubles dude! I know it sucks. Been there, done that! Hang in there. Your truck is worth it! Buy the rad and do it yourself. It's too easy! Install, fill, burp, fill, burp again, and you're golden. Also, when was the last time you changed hoses out? A full set only runs $40.00. Good time to do it!

Oh, btw, when are you moving to Texas? You're takin' too long! :haha:

Manny

5. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Yea do it yourself, its real easy and you may also want to change the thermostat along with the hoses

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Oh, and...

If you do it yourself, make sure you use only distilled water and mix it 50/50 with anti-freeze. New hose clamps too! Don't tighten down too much or you'll rupture a hose.

Just thought I'd throw that in there to help ya! You should be able to do this job for less than $200.00.

Manny

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yup new radiator from parts store is $150. sold one today.:D

and be glad it wasnt the whole motor like me.:( Im scared to think of the dough Ill be dropping in the next couple of weeks to build a new one:mad: and yes I will be doing the work myself. arent you guys proud of me?:D

8. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Yes. I am. :D

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

:wink1: :bow:

10. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Ah, makes me miss my comtacts in denver, had one of those old guys hidden in the back on an industrial complex that rodded, baked, repaired and painted mine for 60 bucks.

11. Avery4jc

haha look @ the wallpaper...

hmmm yeah I know I could do it but for $300 installed my parents said just let him do it and be done. I know its hard to believe but as the school year comes to a close during the weeknights I really don't have time to "play" with the truck. :(

Plus they offered to pay for this one...out of the blue. I was hesitant to accept but I decided to let them help...thanked them and said ok.

I'm dropping it off in the morning...so you guys think I should have the hoses and thermostat replaced at the same time? I'll have him look at them and see what he says...he is a really cool guy with one of the only full radiator shops left around town and has done work for us in the past...all the way back to when my dad ran his Jimmy in the late 80's while he was in high school.

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

i see what you mean, maybe your parents have an angle on it and want to make ya feel better to, at anyrate just ask him to check the hoses for you. standing on something, fussing with a radiator, dealing with the fluid, and the time, hell for that price I would almost have it done..well almost:D

13. user

user Registered Member

... Or buy a package of J-B Weld, find the leak, and glue it up with that epoxy. The result will be stronger than the original metal. Do follow the instructions about cleaning the surface prior to installation, though.

14. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Quality repair there...

How about actually soldering it?

But this is either here nor there, he's already had a new one installed...

15. Avery4jc

yep I picked it up after work today (the radiator shop is down the street between my work and school)...the guy did a great job. He inspected the hoses and said they were perfectly fine...put the new radiator in...hooked everything back up...put in 2 gallons of fluid and a new cap.
    So no more drip and I have the peace of mind that a brand spankin' new radiator is in there.

16. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Damn when I first looked this tread I thought you blew your tranny... lol

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

With distilled water.......

18. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Avery,

Congrats on getting the rig back and runnin' cool. Glad everything worked out for ya? Did he say what happened with your old one? I'd find out to see if it was a build failure or a maintenance issue. This way, not to point fingers, you know if you need to be more pro-active with the fluid/flush.

Yes, I said distilled water because regular tap/city water is full of minerals that when subjected to the heat of the motor will separate and will deposit sediments. This will clog the radiator and restrict the flow in engine blocks and heater cores. Wasn't trying to be a smartass....

Manny

19. Avery4jc

yeah I know you weren't...you guys are always helpful.
    Hmmm I do normally mix 50/50 with tap so I'll have to stop doing that like you guys said.

The old one had a hairline crack in it that was letting fluid leak out and drip out the bottom...it was dripping from the bolts that hold the swaybar to the frame on the driver's side. Then I have always known about this weird buildup/leak right at the neck where the cap goes but its never given me problems so I hadn't messed with it.

I'll go get a gallon of distilled water next time we are at the store and pick up a gallon of radiator fluid next time I'm at the parts store and keep them handy for the future. ;)

20. Avery4jc

sorry to dissapoint you :) Never fear the day will come, lol. 1st pulls...2nd falls on its face...3rd pulls pretty well and 4th is ok....I hope it can last until this summer after I graduate...I'll be able to work a bunch of hours at work and get some major work done before I go to college.