Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

kangaroo K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Nov 11, 2006.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

well, its not really a K5, its the CUCV, but meh semantics.....

problem is when im driving down the parkway near my house at 50 or so, at certain points in the road, ill hit a bump, then another bump in quick succession, and the truck will feel like its in a hydrolics competition lifting off the ground with all four wheels. i dont think it is, but it feels like it. to be honest its quite unsetteling. the truck has a short wheelbase so some bounce is to be expected. but this is pretty severe it goes on for a good 5 to 10 seconds.

the guy i just bought it from says he just installed some ranchero shocks up front and on the steering. i was wondering if rancheros had a reputation for being a bit bouncy, or if there might be another known cause. hell maybe i just need to drive a bit slower lol.

anyway, thanks for any help.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The shocks are "Rancho", I imagine. Putting them on the steering, especially multiple ones is a band-aid covering up whatever's actually wrong. ("Steering dampeners" instead of shocks, technically, but whatever.)

I have had that happen when my toe-in was WAAAY off ... so if it were me, I'd get to an alignment shop.

Could be worn steering components like tie-rod or drag link ends, but I say toe-in.

-- A

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

3 things

1. put front axel on jack stands, grab a tire and see if it has alot of play, "loose ball joints" if it moves easily in and out or up and down and you can hear it making alot of noise..ball joints

2. have someone steer the wheel left to right on pavement with the engine off, if you see steering box or the frame or other pieces moving or binding..could cause your issue

3. measure your toe in and out their shold be a 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch diference between the front and back of the front tires, measure in the middle of tire on the out side edge in the both the rear and front of the tire, example. 57.5 57 3/8" taller tires create more leverage and stress. you can adjust the toe out with your tie rod. also check and feel your tie rod to see if its real loose and check your drag link for play as well.

having this ways off like mine just was caused some fun times at low speed or if ihit a bump.

4. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

wow, glad i asked, i never would have thought about the front end causing a full body bounce like that.

now that yall mention it i do feel that i need an idler arm, the steering is a bit sloppy. but i didnt think the two were connected. i always thought a worn idler arm just caused side to side slop instead of a vertical 10 second rollercoaster of bouncing.

as for checking it all myself, i did suspension stuff before.... ill just take it to NTB for an alignment check. It was a farm truck before i got it, so its definatly possible, scratch that, probable that stuff is quite a bit out of adjustment. the alignment was something i was gonna have done anyway, guess it just became more of a priority.