Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kansas is f'in retarded

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

So, check this out:

I'm a Virginia resident, on Active Duty orders in Kansas, right?

I can buy a car, and have Kansas tags with my orders.
    I can buy a firearm in Kansas with my orders.

But since I'm not a Kansas resident, I can't get a CCH permit. I've lived here for over two years, but have to actually become a resident and pay KS taxes to get a CCH permit.

It just blows my mind... military personnel stationed in Kansas (outside of their resident state) can not get a CCH. Kansas does not issue non-resident permits, and they are still dicking around with what states' permits they'll honor.

I'll probably have to wait until the list comes out and see if Utah or Florida are on the list.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll agree that that's idiotic, but most of the state employees can probably spell "is".

3. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Why do you want a CCH permit so much? And I'm not being a smarta$$.
    Unforunately being in a job that makes you travel like Uncle Sam makes you do, that comes with the territory.
    Remember, They don't give those things away to residents easily either.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I don't feel I should have to justify wanting a CCH permit. But, I think personal security is just that... personal. It is each individual's responsibility to ensure they take measures they feel necessary to ensure their well being. If people don't think they need a firearm to do that, then that's fine. In fact, many people go through their whole lives without being in a situation where having a firearm on or about there person would actually benefit them. I would rather carry 24/7 and never need it, than not carry and need it just once.

In "Shall Issue" states, it's actually pretty easy to get a CCH permit. You just have to have no felony convictions, no DV/drug/alcohol history, and meet an age requirement.

I never persued one before for a few reasons:

1) Kansas had no CCH until 1 Jan 2007
    2) I could not open carry because I lived in military dormitories, any firearms I had must be stored in the Security Forces armory.
    3) You must be able to lawfully carry a handgun, which means an age requirement of at least 21 (I'm 23 now).

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I could add more stupidity that I have encountered from Kansas since I have dealings up there every so often...........................

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

It wouldn't hurt the topic of this thread at all.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

check out packing.org. They say that Kansas honors both the Vermont and the Arizona concealed carry permit. See if you can get either without official residency... :thumb:

j

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Florida Non-Resident :)

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I did 4 years at Ft. Riley in Kansas. There were a few good things about the state. No smog, vehicle registration for a new, at the time, '98 F-150 was only like $47, and buyin a gun was eaasy. Bought my Glock 22 there. I was in and out of the gun shop in less than half an hour with the gun, a case/lock and 4 boxes of ammo. Also bought a Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag the same way. :eek1:

Another cool thing I experienced out there....my buddies girl had a farmhouse just outside of the Topeka city limits. Like 100' outside. Closest neighbor prolly 200yards away. We were all out there in the back yard shootin the **** out of an old fridge. And not just 22's. .308, .223, 30-06, 12g, 44mag...some big guns. We even had a couple boxes of .223 tracers. About 20 minrues after we started, a sherrif showed up...Just strolled into the back yard and asked what was goin on, if we were bein safe and not drinking. When he was saftisfied, he just said have fun and carry on. Got back in his car and took off. Being from Cali, I stood there with my jaw hanging open.

After 4 years in that god forsaken state, those were the ONLY good things I came up with about living there. None of that is ever happing in Kalifornia.:eek1: :haha: :haha:

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

did you start class yet?:D

11. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

You make good points, but the state still has a right to know who you are.

Hell, moving up from CA to ID was like getting out of prison!
    In ID if you can completely hide a Barret M107 sniping rifle under your overcoat, you're perfectly legal :D ! I love this place! You can own and carry a full auto H&K MP5 if you want.

Then you have places like NYC and DC where firearms are completely illegal and handgun crime is out of control.

12. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

KS honors these states....

Kansas ' Recognition of other states' Conceal Carry Licenses
    On July 1, 2006 Kansas joined 47 other states allowing qualified citizens to carry handguns in a concealed manner. In addition to licensing qualified residents, the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act (KPFPA) granted authority to the Attorney General to determine which other states' concealed carry licenses would be recognize in the state of Kansas, and to authorize a licensed non-resident to carry a concealed handgun within the borders of Kansas. The KPFPA, found in S.B. 418 (as amended by H.B. 2118), will be codified as K.S.A. §75-7c01 et seq.
    According to K.S.A. § 75-7c03(c), the determination of the states recognized is accomplished through an "equal to or greater than" standard. The Attorney General determined that if a state's concealed carry laws contains the following requirements, that state meets the "equal to or greater than" standard;
    the state requires a national fingerprint-based background check on its applicants;
    a pending arrest/charge for a disqualifying act would subject an applicant/licensee to denial/suspension pending the outcome of that arrest/charge;
    formal training on legal issues and the safe handling of firearms is required prior to licensure;
    a live fire exercise must be completed to determine an applicants firearm handling and shooting capabilities; and
    that the applicants must be at least 21 years of age at the time of application.
    Based on a review of the applicable state laws and conversations with officials from each of the respective states, the following 22 states satisfy the requirements listed above:
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Colorado
    Florida
    Hawaii
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Texas
    West Virginia
    There is one (1) additional state Wyoming that is pending a determination of whether it will meet the criteria for recognition.
    A review of applicable state laws and discussions with state officials from each of the respective states, the following 24 states do not meet the minimum requirements as outlined above:
    Alabama - Does not meet age, training, live fire, or pending charges requirements
    California - Does not meet the age requirement
    Connecticut - Does not have a live fire requirement
    Delaware - Does not meet age requirement
    Georgia - Does not have either training or live fire requirements
    Idaho - Does not have a live fire requirement
    Indiana - Does not meet age requirement
    Iowa - Does not meet age requirement
    Maine - Does not meet age requirement
    Maryland - Does not meet age requirement
    Massachusetts - Does not have a formal shooting requirement
    Mississippi - Does not have a training requirement
    Montana - Does not meet age requirement
    New Hampshire - Does not meet age or background requirements
    New York - Does not meet training requirement
    North Dakota - Does not meet age requirement
    Oregon - Does not meet the live fire requirement
    Pennsylvania - Does not meet training or live fire requirements
    Rhode Island - Does not meet training requirement
    South Dakota - Does not meet age requirement
    Utah - Does not meet live fire requirement
    Vermont - Essentially, no requirements at all (no license is issued)
    Virginia - Does not meet live fire requirement
    Washington - Does not meet training or live fire requirements

13. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm pretty much of the opinion that if your active military, you ought to be able to carry without a permit. Your a trained killer already and licensed by Uncle Sam - WTF else do they need?? I"m guessing it boils down to states rights and constitutionality of the whole deal.

14. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Yeah, so you're a trained killer....

The rules of engagement are vastly different from Active Military to protecting your own ass in the states. Every state is different, and every county in each State can have a different take on what is legal defense of your person.

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

trained killer?
    hardly
    maybe for the marines and army where weapons training is a part of boot camp, but i hardly thing the navy boot camp training( simulated M-16 with laser activated target) qualifies as "trained killer"

16. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

What do you mean by that? A Kansas CCH is either on your Driver's License or KS ID card. In my case, if I was allowed to have one, it would be on an ID card.

17. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Trained Killer? I agree with Surpip. My M-16 qualification is just once a year shooting a paper target. That's it.

18. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I still learned a lot of good info about that in my CCH class today. You have no duty to retreat in KS like you do in MO. You are allowed to meet force with force. This instantly brought to mind the "Use of Force Pyramid" they teach us in security forces augmentee training. There's different levels of conflict that require different levels of force; from verbal judo to lethal force.

And Goose, the KSAG right now is reviewing the previously published reciprocity list. I doubt it'll change much, if at all, but it's still possible.

19. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

"We come in peace; shoot to kill, shoot to kill"

20. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

whatever.

fag