Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kansas or Phoenix speedway( Nascar)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bnc04, Oct 19, 2006.

1. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Has anybody been to one of these races? I'm going to be taking the wife to one of these tracks due to proximity. ( probably haul the 5th wheel) and am trying to decide which is better. We have never been to a nascar race so don't really know what to expect.

Items we would like:
    Decent chance at seeing drivers and getting autographs ( wife is a huge fan)
    Decent seating
    fFir amount of other activities at the track besides watching the cars.
    Length of time we should plan on staying
    Tips for a good party in the RV section

Anything else that you can think of or wish you would have done when you went would be appreciated!!.
    Brett

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Phoenix International is pretty good , except for going home . Expect a 2 hour window minimum from actually opening the truck door , to hitting the exit to the highway .

Take the trams from the parking lot to the track , otherwise its a looooooong mile or so hike from the parking lot through the RV's , sucks if you have a lot of stuff .

We sit on the back stretch up front so you can see and smell closer . And the bathrooms are right behind us , as well as the concessions .

Autographs are hit and miss , like anywhere . Sometimes the guys are set up beforehand for actual sheduled signing , but its hard sometimes . Best bet is the fan shows downtown Phoenix on Thursday night . I got Terry Labonte to sign a cereal box in front of the Checker Auto hauler last year .

We don't do the pit passes anymore . The year we had them , we got no autographs , and they kick you out an hour before . So all we got was lots of pictures of the working class guys glueing the lug nuts to the rims .

If you go PM me , I will buy ya a beer :thumb:

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've only been to a Cali race, but I would definately recommend going to Phoenix. Better track for racing than Kansas and you would have the chance to hang out with awesome CK5 members like Pauly:D

4. pauly383

They did a reconfig on the track too . The bridge in turn 4 is gone , only a tunnel from the Hillside to the pits remain .

And the backstretch semi-dogleg is changed , its now all walled with no opening ( maybe gated ) on the backstretch where you can drive onto the track .

5. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

I went to a phoenix race back when the tunnel was across the track, it looks better on TV so i think its probably like a new track now. Traffic was bad.
    I've heard Kansas is really nice. If your planing on pulling the 5th wheel in to the motor city or infield with tickets for the whole weekend either place will be an experience you'll never forget.

6. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Can you park your TT in the infield and set up there? Friend of mine does that at Daytona and says the party is insane, every time. He sets the projector up with surround sound, along with his giant grill and row of coolers. His TT is a 24' enclosed trailer that we finished the interior on. Set the lawnchairs up on the roof... Race? What race? Not sure about any tips, just make sure you're setup so that you don't have to leave- bring plenty of supplies. I'd get all the food ready beforehand so all you have to do is cook- no prep. Not sure how hard you're planning on partying. I went to Daytona during testing, it was free and empty. Standing on the wall with the cars passing 2 feet away is quite the experience. Gotta hold on to your hat.

7. pauly383

Yeah , they have infield parking , probably expensive . I got yelled at by my wife for zooming the camera in on the eye candy on top of the RV's there :thumb:

8. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Thanks for all the great input so far. I Know Kansas has 3 camping areas at the track and one a little away from the track with shuttles. We definitly plan on doing some partying and thats also a consideration. I would want to be shuttled or stay close enough to the track where walking is possible. Man, I'm getting stoked already!
    Brett

9. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I went to the spring race this year at Phoenix. Had an awesome time!!! I'm a big NASCAR fan and an ever bigger short track dirt race fan. Actually, I've been to over 50 races this year. Whew!!!!

Anyway, I'd definately recommend Phoenix. I sat about 8 rows up from botton towards the turn 1 end of the straight. I could actually see about 90% of the track from my seat. Actually, more like stand than seat since I stood for most of the race. I got to count as Tony Stewart went from starting deal last (43rd) to finish 2nd. He even passed Harvick (race winner) at one point. So, technically, he passed every car on the track.

Now, this was my one & only NASCAR experience. I had a blat and enjoyed watching SPEED TV live w/ Jimmie & Kenny.

As for camping, I think you can reeserve camping at the track, but I don't who what it takes to get close. As said, their are trams and some people ride bikes around and lock them up.

And as a fan, Phoenix is definately beter than Kansas. Plus it'll be beautiful in AZ that time of year.

10. pauly383

Let me know if you come to Phoenix at some point . I would love to park near your setup and party as we wait for traffic to die down :bow:

11. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Laughing, I just told my wife what you said, LOL..

If we go that route,,, Count on it!!

Looking very strong that we'll head that way.

Brett

12. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Never been to Phoenix track. The only time I"ve been to the Kansas Speedway is when I was running on it. My wife ponied up 600 bucks and signed me up for the Petty Driving Experience. Got to drive a retired Cup car on the track there. I think my best lap speed was 134mph. Those banks are a lot different than the flat dirt tracks I am used to.:D

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I spent at least 2 weekends a month growing up at PIR. I really love that track. Also if ya come to our town we'll have to set around and drink some beer.

14. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Only Cup track I've been to is Pheonix. Had a good time with all the racing up until Sunday. I drove from Vancouver Island Canada (rain forrest) to Pheonix (desert) to see my first cup race and what happens . RAIN OUT.
    I drove up to Vegas after that and got drunk for a few days:D