Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Karl Marx and four wheeling?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by B_to_C, Feb 9, 2006.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

So I've been up alllll night studying for a test in "Classical Sociological Theory" that I have this morning. Half of this test is on Marx, and maybe it's just because Im sleep deprived but I started seeing some connections between his ideas and our sport...

Marx has an idea called "Species-being" Essentially it is the idea that humans self-conciousness as a species is created by the things we produce. Marx is of course arguing that Capitalism is bad because it alienates humans from their production -see to him, it is human nature to be productively creative, and because capitalism alienates people from the things they produce, it will eventually fail...ANYWAYS, I was thinking...

"Hey, if you take Marx's perspective, it gives a great explanation of WHY we enjoy working on and customizing our trucks so much...because it's human nature to do just that -to creatively produce."

Aslo, he believed that people are naturally social and co-operative. And that again, to be creative is our natural state. So I was thinking

"Well, look what we do when we go out on the trails: We are going out with a bunch of people (we WANT to be around other people because we are so disconected in most areas of our life) and then we go and get our trucks stuck. It seems ilogical at first, but then you see...it gives us an opportunity to be co-operative and creative -we need that outlet, and getting a truck stuck is a great way to 'get creative.' 'Let's winch him out this way' or 'No, I think we should put the high lift under the front right, and build a little ramp,' or any number of things you hear people saying out on the trail...it's our creative side coming out."

Anyways, just thought I'de take this opportunity to take a break from studying. So please don't take this opportunity to bash communism, or liberals, or my education, or my horrible study habits, or anything contained in this post whatsoever. Have a nice day, and just think...Maybe you agree with Marx more than you thought you did :deal: :yikes: :usaflag:

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Good luck on the test...

3. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Pinko.... hee hee j/k. Good Luck on the test. :D

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Good luck on your test Nick!!

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If Karl Marx was around today, I'd hunt him down and have a field goal kicking contest using his balls as the football...............................

6. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Fewf, I was there up until the last seconds (75 minute exam). I think I did well though...but perceptions can get skewed a bit after not sleeping and getting all hoped up on energy drinks...Here's hoping!