Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Katrina: Pet Rescue

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Sep 5, 2005.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

My wife was on the humane society web site, I guess they've got a lot of people and funding in place to rescue the animals that had to be left behind, and hopefully reunite them with their owners.

They did say that many evacuees took their animals with them in the days before the storm, and their own shelter in NO was fully evacuated in time as well.

They're taking donations via the web, if anyone is so inclined.

I saw where Geraldo Rivera took an old lady and her dog to safety, and I saw another clip where a guy and his dog were taken onto a chopper. Another showed one of those johnboats with a bunch of dog & cat crates on it.

I'd have started walking north if I had to, rather than leave my dog behind. Maybe I'd have stayed behind, if I felt safe in doing that. Couldn't bear the thought of leaving him behind to die alone.

Other pet owners would understand, I don't expect anyone else to.. Of course, If I did stay, I wouldn't bitch about how long it took to rescue my ass. I'd STFU and live on warm beer and twinkies for the duration.

Tom

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I did donate Saturday at petsmart . Shopping for the dog , she loves those rubber tires with the bones for treadblocks :D

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Donated what little I could already... and I've tried pretty hard not to think about all the pets that were left to fend for themselves by owners who shouldn't have had pets to begin with.
    Not too many things really upset me, but that's one of them. I can't read or listen to stories about animal abuse, can't watch some of those shows on Animal Planet about animal rescues and stuff... just upsets the hell out of me.

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

The humane society will never get a damn dime from me. Sorry. They are anti-hunting as hell. **** 'em.

I feel bad for the animals left behind, but not bad enought to give my money to those commies.

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I really wasn't trying to drum up donations for them, I just know that a bunch of us are dog & cat people, and I thought guys might like to hear that things aren't totally hopeless for them.

Organizations like the humane society and best friends are good for what they do for domesticated animals, but they should leave the widlife management to the professionals. I agree, being anti hunting is dumb, as no one funds wildlife conservation efforts as much as the hunting community.

Tom

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I'm the same way.. I can't even go through a shelter or even a pet store without wanting to take them all home. And watching the animal cops show just fills me with rage.

I don't feel sorry for people, as everyone does what they want, and thus gets what they deserve.. I do feel sorry for domestic animals who are let down by their humans.

Tom

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I saw the "animal rescue" ambulance from Boston heading down the interstate this morning. There is, believe it or not, an attempt being made to rescue and place all of the pets left behind.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Here's another good Pet Rescue site. This is where we donated.

www.noahswish.org

Addy: You will probably have trouble connecting for a few days - there website has been overwhelmed with internet traffic.