Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kayaks............anyone have one?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by BurbinOR, May 24, 2004.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Going to add to our outdoor camping collection shortly, wondered if any of you guys have one? Any issues with rollovers in them (have two daughters that want to make sure they are safe)? They always wear life vests but want to see how stable a basic cheap kayak is on a relatively flat lake. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i don't have one, we have canoes, but i rented one for a canoeing trip (1 too many people) as long as you keep your arse planted center it was preaty hard to tip, one of the guys i went with tipped me and it filled with water and there was no way i could pick it up to enpty it. it was quite easy to get out once i did flip (more like fell out) i was kinda torn if i wanted to buy one or not but after that trip, i wanted one, just no $$$ /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

It all depends on what kind of paddling you're wanting to do. I have a 14'9 Ocean Kayak it is a touring model with 2 dry storage hatches (my old race boat). I also have a 2004 15' Dager Charleston (my new race boat), probaly the best 'yak that I've had. The reason why mine are so long is because I do alot of sea kayaking and racing. If you are more in to white water or surf rodeo you will want some thing around 5' to 8' long. You will aslo be able to keep your balance alot better with a touring model (sit in) rater than a sit on top. You also need to think about what kind of paddle you want. You don't want a heavy fiber glass or wood paddle if you're going to be paddling all day. I would say go with a aluminum or carbon fiber, I have both and prefer the carbon fiber. It's alot more $$$ but a great invesment. If you want to find a really good deal on a used boat go to some where that does tours and find out when they are selling off there boats. They usally sell them off about every 2 years. Thats how I got my first one dirt cheap and the guy threw in the paddle, vest and even an old rack thats going on the Blaz' soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It all depends on what kind of paddling you're wanting to do. I have a 14'9 Ocean Kayak it is a touring model with 2 dry storage hatches (my old race boat). I also have a 2004 15' Dager Charleston (my new race boat), probaly the best 'yak that I've had. The reason why mine are so long is because I do alot of sea kayaking and racing. If you are more in to white water or surf rodeo you will want some thing around 5' to 8' long. You will aslo be able to keep your balance alot better with a touring model (sit in) rater than a sit on top. You also need to think about what kind of paddle you want. You don't want a heavy fiber glass or wood paddle if you're going to be paddling all day. I would say go with a aluminum or carbon fiber, I have both and prefer the carbon fiber. It's alot more $$$ but a great invesment. If you want to find a really good deal on a used boat go to some where that does tours and find out when they are selling off there boats. They usally sell them off about every 2 years. Thats how I got my first one dirt cheap and the guy threw in the paddle, vest and even an old rack thats going on the Blaz' soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info!

Mainly what I want it for is camping fun...........no white water, just fun cruising on a pretty large lake up here in Oregon. No need for rudders. I can pick up a new one for $240 that is a basic unit. Should fit right under my canoe on top of the tent trailer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

We have two single sit on tops and one double sit on top. They're a blast/ /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I've got an Old Town Loon 160. It's a nice, big, stable boat, though not as manuveralbe as some, but we just tool around on Mountain lakes, not whitewater. Its a foam core so you can roll it, dunk it, fill it with water and it's not going to sink. We like it. They sell a tandem in this model with more seating. If I did't alos have a canoe, I would have got that one instead.

7. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

I have just gotten 3 perception swifftys ...They are great and only about 300. ea after rebates from REI....

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

we have three, all sit on top ocean kayaks. theyre great fun if youre just wanting to get out and go paddle around, and theyre nearly impossible to flip (ive never flipped one unintentionally in 6 or 7 years). /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i have two 13' daggers. I fish out of mine. Float right into coves, cast and catch the big bass!

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Wasssuuppp??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Definately stay away from whitewater kayaks. A cheap yet durable kayak is the Old Toon Otter. They are a one seater kayak and are stable. Plus they are a shorter kayak for easier transport. Old Town makes some nice calm water kayaks and they have good prices. Not sure if you have Gander Mountain stores in your area, but they usually sell the otters for around $250.. They are realtively stable also.. I have paddled them quite a few times and I've never encountered a rollover in one even when goofing off.

11. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Have three. Two single sit on tops and one double sit on tops. Have three daughters and son. Girls 9,13 and 20, son is junior in HS. all have had a blast on them. Wear a life vest.
    Oh yeah, our akita will sit on the front spot of the double and ride with my son. Pretty neat. Also alont of fun to tow behind the boat like a ski or use in the surf.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if your still looking i have a very durable inflatable one for $50

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if your still looking i have a very durable inflatable one for $50

[/ QUOTE ]

No thanks Shannon, bought a molded one to go with the canoe............both fit nicely on the tent trailer and the kids LOVED the kayak - could hardly get any seat time myself up at Timothy Lake.

14. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

thats cool i use this one out on the Columbia /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif i have someone hold my sturgeon pole and i run out the hook and bait a few hundred yards and drop it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif there is no way to cast that far from shore /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif