Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kayline soft top install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Aug 10, 2000.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'll be getting my Kayline soft top soon [​IMG] [​IMG] and I was wondering if anyone has one and how the installation went? Things to watch out for, tips etc.
    Thanks

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yep, Neil (Mudzer) just finished a review, we should have it up shortly.

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

3. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

I had one on my 1989 toyota 4runner and it was very nice, the only thing I had problems with was that the snaps would pull out of the fabric if it stretched to much. Leave a little slack so it will have room to tighten up on you. I also had problems with it leaking at the zippers but that is to be expected I guess. over all I was very happy with it and it was really easy to remove and put back. Oh yeah if it is anything like the ones for the 4runner expect to drill hundreds of holes in the top of your bedrail, but the framing covers the holes so you can't see them.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<font color=red>I can't wait for the tech article [​IMG]</font color=red>

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

5. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

I installed mine a couple weeks ago, it was all pretty easy except for two half inch holes you have to drill! :0 The side rails bolted right on (fast-trac) then I think it was 5 1/8 in holes in the tailgate, and about 10-12 1/8 inch holes along the cab. Not bad, I did it in about 2 1/2 hours, this being my first time ever drilling, so it shouldnt be too hard!

These things are EXPENSIVE

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Get some extra 1/8 drill bits since I broke 2. The 1/2" holes do suck to drill along with the smaller ones but there's only around 10 around the cab, 4 in the rails and 8 in the tailgate. Still not as many as the old style top. So the rails wouldn't scratch the bed, I put duct tape on the bottom of the rails. I'm sure you won't have a problem this time a year but do install the top when it's warm outside. You can get the complete install instructions from Kaylines web site.

Here's some pics of the one I installed:
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/kayline/

Tools Required:
    3/8 wrench
    7/16 wrench
    drill
    1/8, 3/16, 3/32, 1/2 drill bits
    8’ tape measure
    #2 phillips screwdriver

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

7. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Ok a sneak peek.

I am in the process of taking better pictures for the review. Steve will then have it uploaded early next week. I hope to take the pics on Saturday, then upload them immediately after that. In the mean time, here is 1 picture of my installed Kayline Fast Trac soft top. Man is it sweet. I love the extra windows for visibility. The top has already seen heavy rain and shine with no problems.
    [​IMG]

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

9. Shawn

Hey Neil. I like the black with the black tinted windows. That looks really nice. Cool winch!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

10. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Did the tint come from Kayline?

11. Shawn

The tinted windows is an option from Kayline. It's a dark tint and it's in the plastic. If you got the clear windows, you couldn't have them tinted like you can on the vehicle glass (ie- 3M tint film).

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

12. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

Hey Shawn or Neil... did either of you have problems with the back not being tight? Im asking because the back flap, and the rear part of the corner windows do not want to stay in the tailgate channel, and are loose. Could it be that because the two horizontal rods dont fit all the way in, the top is not shifted forward enough? I even mounted the tailgate strip a little lower than the directions said to. Im going to look into it right now, so I might solve the problem myself before I get to look at the replies (c: Steve

These things are EXPENSIVE

13. Shawn

Yes, my back flap is not that tight but it stays in there on the highway. I was going to adjust the rear bow out one notch and see what happens. I mounted the tailgate strip exactly where it said in the instructions. Let me know what you find.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]