Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kayline Top Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

This is for anyone who owns a Kayline soft top for a Blazer. I am looking into getting a Kayline top. Are they good tops, take abuse well, etc.? Do they fit well and work well driving on the road? Thanks for all responses.

Harley

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I had one on my '73, before I tore the truck down for the rebuild I'm currently working on.

It was OK. Since I have no reference, or expierence with other tops, It's hard to say. Mine was the snap version. I ran the truck about 30000mi/year. Softop in summer, hardtop in winter.
    By reference with a new vehicle with a soft top (i.e Jeep) , this top was terrible.

It started leaking in the back at one of the seams around two years old. You couldn't see through the plastic windows after about 8months, but I think that's a hard one to beat on any plastic windowed top.
    For on road driving it was OK, I guess. It was NOISY and rattley. I'm not including the extra noise from the truck that the top lets in, I'm saying the top itself was noisy. A low pitched high speed wind type of noise. The straps that held the back bar in position in safari mode broke and I had to remake them. I think they used a low grade snap, I probably replaced almost every snap on the top at least once...I will buy quality Stainless Steel snaps next time I need to replace any snaps...the fabric didn't tear, the snap would separate..

But after 3.5years it still fit good and looked good, except for the windows...

Kayline was bought out by http://www.specialtytopco.com

They have a new snapless model for my truck, and for the '76-'91's too, which looks a little more quality than what I had. It is what I plan on buying, unless I notice something better....

BlazerMan

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I use my Kayline year round! I hate my hard top!!
    I too have replaced many snaps. No big deal really, it is easy to do. One of my zippers don't zip no more and I have fog tinted windows now(you can now get the top with black tinted windows[​IMG]) I added two footman loops to the tailgate so I could run a sinch strap to the rear bar and pull the top tight. This reduces the flaping on HWY and also keeps the center from pushing downward due to the wind force on HWY. It has keept the rain out better than my hard top(old seals and it's kinda warped). It is louder during road trips but who cares it's a full convertable 4x4!!! Keeps my wife from yakken in my ear the whole way[​IMG]!!
    I would like to get a higher quality top someday somehow!! Kinda like the CanBack style, canvas and steel!
    The Kayline does fold up out of the way nicely.
    I have a 6pt cage so I don't even use the front bar the top came with. My cage supports the front inside.
    Hope this helps

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Kayline folded over a year ago. Specialty top bought the patterns.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I have a Kayline (Speciality) soft top. It doesn't leak as bad as it did with the hardtop on it. Mine even semi-blew off the Blazer on the highway once. It didn't even rip the material I only had to replace some snaps. Which are real easy to do.
    I wouldn't run a top at all if I could but, its hard to guess the weather up here is Michigan.

All in all I'm glad I have one. Easier to take off than a hardtop especially if you're by yourself.

My 2 cents

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

6. 84Blazr

84Blazr Registered Member

I have a Kayline on my '84 and it only leaks a little where it lines up to the rest of the hard cab, and thats only if water sits up there for a little. I don't think the noise is that bad, not much worse compared to a brand new jeep soft top. the only thing that I would have liked different is if the material was more canvas like a jeeps. but overall, its a good top and easy to take down and store. good luck.

<font color=red>Wheelin' and Jet skiin'..........Life is GOOD!</font color=red>[​IMG]