Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kazaa legal?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XHitman396, Dec 29, 2003.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

is it legal to d/l kazaa and download everything off of it except songs and like movies? i want to download it for the home videos and all that stuff, so can i do it without the possibility of going to jail or getting fined?? thanks

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

As long as the material isn't copyrighted, I think you're fine.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have KaZaA Lite and I download everything still. Hell, if it's illeagle, why hasn't it been shut down yet ???? I think it's alot of hype, but I think if they'd could get them all be shut down, they would have by now .

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yep, as long as it isn't copywrited, you're ok.

A customer of mine got sued by the RIAA, but he hadn't downloaded or even used Kazaa for over a year and a half. He showed them all the proof of that and they dropped the charges. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I have KaZaA Lite and I download everything still. Hell, if it's illeagle, why hasn't it been shut down yet ???? I think it's alot of hype, but I think if they'd could get them all be shut down, they would have by now .

[/ QUOTE ]

I can guarantee its not hype. If you are caught trading copyrighted materials by your ISP, you will be given a warning letter that states if you don't stop, they will kill your account. They can find out what you have been trading and inform the copyright owners so more heat can be brought down on you.

The safest way is just not to share anything, only download from others. Once you share, you open a can of worms that can bring some trouble your way.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

why are people still using kazaa?????????? use winmx they are nailing people using kazaa but not winmx so why have people not made the switch? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    The safest way is just not to share anything, only download from others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm, that goes against the whole principle of P2P. If everybody followed your advice filesharing would disappear overnight, would it not?

I personally refuse to share with people who don't return the favor. If you've blocked access to your shared file I cancel the DL. Leeches really piss me off. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I made the switch!...Thankfully cause I have over 6 gigs of stuff /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif O, I mean my "friend" does..I dont download music /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

9. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The safest way is just not to share anything, only download from others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm, that goes against the whole principle of P2P. If everybody followed your advice filesharing would disappear overnight, would it not?

I personally refuse to share with people who don't return the favor. If you've blocked access to your shared file I cancel the DL. Leeches really piss me off. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

except we aren't talking about the principles of point to point sharing, we are talking about the legalities of it. Or the original poster asked about it, so I answered what I knew.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

as far as i know you cannot find anywhere to d/l kazaalite currently, google removed it from their engine, a note is posted in serach results about it being removed due to recording industry lawsuits and sop forth, etc.

11. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    as far as i know you cannot find anywhere to d/l kazaalite currently, google removed it from their engine, a note is posted in serach results about it being removed due to recording industry lawsuits and sop forth, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try http://www.kazaa.com /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

i cannot make the switch as winmx fawked up my computer when I had it on here last

13. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i use winmx..no problems here.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Well aren't you just special /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It's illegal for sure, but oddly enough, country music has started dipping thier CD prices instead of sueing their patrons... I actually found myself buying my last CD because it wasn't some ridiculous high price for half a disc worth of audio...

BTW, if you try to download new music, it appears that a lot of it has been bionically altered to go bonkers halfway through... The record co's are adapting and becoming more tech savvy to devalue p2p! Funny, my brother said 3 years ago they could slow this whole "problem" down if they flooded and released every new cd on p2p first as garbled audio...

16. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Myself i'd rather have to D/l the song twice then spend 18.00 for a CD i just want a few songs off of.

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Myself i'd rather have to D/l the song twice then spend 18.00 for a CD i just want a few songs off of.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yea, the record companies really need to solve that. I think the apple site has the right idea. Buy and download the songs you want for a nominal fee. Then burn custom CDs for yourself and not break the law.

I thought the download thing was pretty cool too at first until i realized that if I were the artist and not being paid after breaking my a$$ for years to make it in a very tough business because kids were downloading my stuff for free I'd be pissed and so probably would everyone who downloaded music if they were the ones not getting paid.

The record companies need to make a fair profit too. Maybe if they adopted a similar stance to apple's site it would help. In any event, I think I'd rather not do something that I wouldn't want done to me.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't see why the record co. couldn't set up thier own sites for down loading music, charge a fair price for each track. (Napster's high, 99 cents per track adds up fast) I think they'd make money, and you'd still have to buy the CD to get the hidden tracks.

19. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I know, you'd think they'd smarten up a bit faster. But they'll wait until Apple captures the first market position then try to catch up. It's all those MBAs in corporate. Idiots with pens.

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's the thing, they were selling cd's for like $8.99, what I used to buy tapes for in the 80's. I wouldn't spend a tank of gas or 4 pieces of sheetrock on a cd for one song either... But 8.99 for a cd I know I'm gonna love every song on is a little more realistic.