Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

KC Lights & Light Bars?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joey90, Dec 25, 2003.

1. joey90

joey90 Registered Member

Hey guys, I'd like to get a KC Light Bar and six KC Lights, two floods facing forward, two spotlights facing forward, and one flood on each side pointing to the side. I'm gonna go with the old school chrome 6" rounds /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do any of you guys run a setup similar to this? How difficult is it to set it up? Does it work well? Is the alternator strong enough to supply juice to all those lights if I turned them on at the same time?

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

There is no way the stock alternator could handle all those lights. I would go with a new 140 amp model. Summit sells them for like 150 bucks....

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I run 4 spot lights, 2 rear facing lights and 6 rock lights under my blazer. I agree that the factory alternator will not handle this load. I have a 200 amp that keeps up pretty easily though. You may also want to invest in some relays so you don't burn up switches.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

ALso watch if you wheel it those lightbars love to hang up on tree branches.

5. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

You can also wire them to different switches like my son did on his heep. He has forward lights on one switch, side lights on another and rear lights on yet another. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It doesnt draw near as much power that way as you can turn on only the lights you need and all the switches look cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I think the KC's are a 130 watt light. That's about 10-12 amps for each light. With 6 lights, you are looking at 60-70 amps for 6 lights. This is what most stock chevrolet alternators put out! YOu will need some power for the ignition and headlights, etc. I would at least upgrade your alternator.

Your existing one if probably old already, and who knows how long it will stand up to being loaded to 100%.....just a thought....

7. joey90

joey90 Registered Member

So I'm definately gonna need a new HO alternator. What's the highest output you guys know of? I only wanna replace it once and I have a large stereo system that pulls alot of power as well...

And I think I am gonna do the multiple switch thing, it's a good idea /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. joey90

joey90 Registered Member

Hey BamBamblazer I might be interested in your light bar but you didn't gimme an email address and I'm not a paying member yet (will be soon though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Wanna shoot me your email addy so we can talk about it?

9. joey90

joey90 Registered Member

bump /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. joey90

joey90 Registered Member

11. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the KC's are a 130 watt light. That's about 10-12 amps for each light. With 6 lights, you are looking at 60-70 amps for 6 lights. This is what most stock chevrolet alternators put out! YOu will need some power for the ignition and headlights, etc. I would at least upgrade your alternator.

Your existing one if probably old already, and who knows how long it will stand up to being loaded to 100%.....just a thought....

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, the 60 amps or so that the original alternator puts out is at it's maximum output. At idle, it's more like 15-20 amps. I don't think that you get to max output on most stockers untill at least around 3000 rpm or so with stock pulleys. I might be wrong on the specifics a bit but I hope I got the gest of the idea out correctly. As the others have already said,,, you need more alternator and a itsy bitsy pulley to speed it up.

As far as the highest output,,,, well the more money you spend the more amps you get. You can get a 100 amp pretty cheap, in the hundered dollar or so range. The 150 amp to 200 amp alternators get pricey,,, around 200-250 bucks or so??? Once you get higher than that,,, it cost lots O-Bucks.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

in transformers and alternators you don't want to surpass 80% of the maximum it will last a lot longer, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Where does everyone suggest putting the relays for the lights?

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I put my relays and breakers with them on an aluminum panel. That panel is mounted off of the sheetmetal with small rubber tube peices around the screws for vibration dampening. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

15. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Here is Idea you can get the power pannel of of an early 90s truck it will be on the passenger side fire wall most poeple dont know its thier I didnt untill I had an electric rear window instaled in my truck and thats ware they ran the power for it. thier is a bus bar in it for power it goes striaght to the battery and thier should be plenty of room to put the relays in thier. you may want to think abought running an extra battery it may be a cheaper option then a 200 amp alternator and it helps for using lights at low rpms. I have a 100amp and 2 batteries in my blazer and I dont have any power problems.

16. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

17. joey90

joey90 Registered Member

k so I'm definately going to get a high output alternator and probably another battery because i also have a high output stereo system.

BamBam i emailed you but didn't get a reply, you around?

18. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

JCWhitney also carries accessory fuse panels. I will be getting a couple of these, basically just a 6 circuit 20a per block. This way you can fuse your lights and install the relays.

19. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I'm running 9 aux lights on my K5. 7 6"KC's and 2 4x6's. At one time I had 13 aux lights on my K5. I installed my lights about 3 years ago and have yet to need to change out the factory replacement alternator. And yes I do wheel with all my lights on at the same time for many straight hours at a time (I've done alot of night wheel'n). I use 1 toggle per pair of lights with the exception of 3 lights on one toggle. I have burned up at least a dozen toggles before I started useing 50 amp toggles. I think I've only burned up one since then. I don't run relays either, but I would highly recommend it and I plan on doing it to my truck in the near future. I wired up 6 6"Kc's on my buddies Ram (318 c.i.) and he has yet to burn up an alternator. That was also about 3 years ago. I also wired up 4 6"KC's and 4 4x6 lights to my brothers K5 in the past and he never had to replace the alternator for the 2 years he ran the setup. This info is accurate, no BSing here. Maybe we were fortunate I don't know, but no problems with 3 out of 3 oem alternators on 3 different trucks each with 6 or more aux lights.

20. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I feel like I'm holding back so I guess I'll add this too. On my brother and my K5's I ran a 00 cable from the output of the alternator directly to the battery. I did this to keep the voltage constant. In other words... no more dimming.