Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

KC lights - Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BB454, May 11, 2000.

1. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

I am hopping mad about the deal I got today. About 4 months ago two of my 12-month old 165w 6" s/steel KC Daylighters started to act up. When I contacted the dealer I got them from I was informed that KC no longer honour their warrenty outside the USA. The warrenty that KC offers was the reason I bought them instead of the WARN lights and I paid nearly double the WARN price. After simmering for a while I finally ordered the KC inserts from the approved KC dealer and paid the premuim price again. Today the stuff arrived and when I opened the GENUINE KC boxes I found the contents to be the right inserts but under the "WAGNER" brandname. No KC logo anywhere and even differant part no's. I phoned the dealer and they claim that KC in the USA no longer supply the genuine KC units with the logo's in the glass. I am now the proud owner of a set of un-matched/bastered units. Does anybody have a e-mail add. for KC in the USA? MAN I AM @#$%* MAD !!!!!

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

2. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

3. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Thanks Daniel. I would realy like to hear what they have to say.

BB454

4. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Just to update you all on the KC problem. I got the following reply from Michael De Haas (KC NSM):

Following is an explanation of the Sealed Beam situation and the issues we faced as a company dealing with these issues along with the thought processes that lead to our decisions.

For the past 25 years we've been purchasing our Sealed Beam bulbs from Philips Lighting. We used to use the 150 watt 12 volt sealed beam bulbs in our Daylighters. We approached Philips in 1993 about making a higher wattage/voltage bulb for us. As a result, Philips made us a 165 watt 14 Volt Sealed Beam bulb. Philips has been very accommodating as far as making bulbs with our logo on them and even making this special 165 watt bulb for us. Philips even coordinated a quality team to work with our quality team.

Last year, Philips sold their Sealed Beam business to Wagner Lighting. When we went to order more 165 Watt Sealed Beam bulbs, Wagner told us that they would not be making that bulb for us because Philips owned the technology to make our 165 watt filament and it was cost prohibitive for Wagner to purchase the filaments from Philips. So knowing that, we asked them to make us the stock 150 watt bulb we used to use but with our logo on it. They told us that they threw the tooling away that was used to make our circle KC in the glass (actually they authorized Corning Glass to throw the tooling away as Corning makes the glass). So our options were as follows: Discontinue all Sealed Beam Daylighters OR go back to the 150 watt sealed beam without the KC logo (cost of new tooling for logo was over $50,000 U.S.). Because we had so much money tied up in packaging for the Sealed Beam Daylighters and the performance of the 150 watt 12 volt Sealed Beam is comparable to the 165 watt 14 volt bulb, we opted to go back to using the 150 watt bulb and continue with the Sealed Beam Daylighters.

So through no fault of our own, we were forced in to using the 150 watt Sealed Beam bulb. The Wagner 150 watt Sealed Beam still carries the same KC warranty as the previous bulbs. When my distributor will not honor the warranty, all warranty must be handled directly with us, the factory. . If you would like all your lights to match, I would be more than happy to swap all your lights over to halogen 130 watt. I know they won't be quite as bright as the sealed beam but because we make the lense/reflector assembly, having the KC in the center of the glass is not a problem. If you would like to take me up on my offer, simply respond with your address and I will forward these to you.

I hope this answers all your questions. If you have more, please advise.

--
    Michael DeHaas
    National Sales Manager

BB454