Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keep 208 or not

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wakedog, Jul 2, 2001.

1. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

Im getting a new rear axle and am goin to have a new rear driveshaft made. Should i keep my np208 with a slip yoke or should i go with the np205?

2. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

If you have access to an np205 i would use it. The only thing to consider is, will it bolt to your tranny. Just my thoughts.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.

3. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

208's seem to "mark there territory".. Ditch it and go 205. It was one of the top mods I have done.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'll assume you have a 700R4.
    To mount a 205, you need to find one (in good shape) with the right input configuration and the right adapter. Then you'll need to install a different, shorter output shaft on the 700R4, which must be completely disassembled for this. (Opinions differ on the necessity of the short output shaft...) Then you'll most likely need a new front driveshaft. Then you'll need to relocate your transfer case crossmember, or maybe fab a new one. Then, you'll need...

See where this is going? There's a lot of time, money, and work involved. If a big motor, bigger tires, and lower gears are in your future, then by all means go for it. But if you just like to play in the dirt and mud and snow with what you've got, I PERSONALLY don't see the need for the swap. This is just my opinion, others will disagree...

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

5. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

jarheadk5 brings up a lot up good points. The np205 is a proven case, but unless you're having problems with the strength of the 208 or are planning on mods that might hurt it (like massive power and/or 40+ inch tires) I'd keep the 208. I have a 205 that will bolt up to my tranny sitting in my garage, but I'm going to keep the 208 until it blows up, if that happens I'll swap in the 205. The main reason is the low range. With the lower low of the 208 (2.61 I believe) I have, not only a lower crawl ratio, but a lot more selection of gears. The 208 gives you another range of gears this is more useful than the 205. For example, with my 465 tranny, say I'm climing a hill and th the overall ratio of second in high range is a little to high at 13.35 (3.58 2nd with 3.73 diff gears) and first in high range is too low at 24.43 (6.55 * 3.73). For the right speed and RPM I want, something closer to the middle is needed. With the 208 I can use third in the tranny and low range to get 16.55 (1.7*2.6*3.73). With the 205 I'm sunk, because of its 2:1 low (roughly 2:1), I don't have the option of a gear in between, because 2nd in low range is 26.78, (much too low) and third in low range is 12.62, basically the same as (worse really) than 2nd in high range. It works the same for all the gears. Third in high is too fast(6.34)? so with a 208 just go to low in fourth(9.69). with a 205 you don't have the option because fourth in low is 5.46. People generally don't mention this, they just mention the lowest crawl ratio, which is only part of the story. I have found the "inbetween gears" are a great benefit when wheeling. If you are rock crawling only, the 2.6 slows you down much better, in my case the difference is 63.5 for the 208 vs 48.8 for the 205.
    And thats why I'm not junking the 208 until it blows up (which may be never with 33's). If I was unclear or you have a question, just give a PM and I'd be happy to explain it better.

6. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

Thank you everyone, you have helped me make up my mind. Swapping in a 205 is to much trouble for me, i don't need all of the strength of the 205 i just want a fixed yoke. So does anyone make any kits??

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Jesse at High Angle Driveline is working on a fixed-yoke 208 kit. Don't know how long the wait is gonna be'though...

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

jar and morph bring up good points and I couldn't of said it better myself. Might as well just get a TH400 or TH350 w/ the 205 cause then the 700r4 would be your weak link. Slip yokes have their disadvantages, but aren't all that bad depending on your wheeling. Just curious why change the d-shaft for a rear axle swap. Napa makes a conversion u-jt for the 10B shaft to 14FF yoke.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

9. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Why do you need the new shaft? As mentioned above, Napa makes conversion U-joints. Also, on my 86 k10, my 10 bolt had a 1350 input yoke, stock. I just unbolted the joint from the ten bolt and bolted it down to the FF's yoke. I think someone mentioned the later 10 bolts came with larger joints. You might want to check it out before you order your stuff.