Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

keep 8 inch lift - drop it down 2 inches - decisions decisions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by four_by_ken, Nov 2, 2004.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Currently I have 8 inch suspesnion with 2 inch body lift. 44 TSLs.

I keep going back and forth what to do with the suspension.
    Same height... lower it... or what.

I will for sure over the winter get rid of the two inch blocks in the rear. But, then do I modify the front to match the 6 inch rear springs... or do I do a flip in the rear to match the front 8 inch springs?

Do I go as far as doing longer springs?

Oh the decisions...

Being in MI, I do a LOT of mud. Some real deep bogs. So, I not sure dropping it down would work out. But, yet I run with all Jeeps and being a little smaller would help at the Badlands and such.

Just dumping all my thoughts on you guys and looking for some opinions.

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I think you could get away with lowering it down. I'm at 7" of lift up front and maybe 8" out back with 44" TSL's and I'm thinking of lowering it down to around 5" up front and 6" out back. I've got 64" 2wd springs from a '90 shortbed chevy in the rear with a front, rear spring mount (shackle flip) and a lowering shackle with some 2" blocks in the back. I'm thinking of removing the blocks and repositioning the shackle mount for a better angle and more droop. In the front I have the Dana 60 giving me some lift along with BDS 6" springs and ORD shackles. My front drive shaft is too short and will bind if I have any more droop so I want to install the 52" springs from a K5 to move the axle 2" foreward and lower the angle (I hear it's about 5" of lift). I don't really need any more flex as I have too much already, I just want the extra 2" of clearance and a slightly softer ride. I would lose the body lift if I was you and keep your suspension between 6" and 8". The body lift only clears the sheet metal and does nothing for keeping your drivetrain and engine out of the water/mud. Sheetmetal can be cut /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. four_by_ken

Thanks for the comments.

I am keeping the body lift. I am trying to not hack it up too much. I like the Blazer look still.

I think first I will just to keep it simple. Either new 8 inch rear springs or new front 6 inch springs.

I think going to 6 inch front will cause more issues. Lots more firewall interfearance, and possible rear fender well hitting.

Ugh... I dont know.

There is that 6 inch spring set in the for sale section. If I didnt have to move springs mounts, I would probably go that route.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

6" lift springs even with the axle moved forward is going to be LOTS of firewall interference. My 38.5s hit my cab floor NO PROBLEM with 6" of lift.

5. four_by_ken

This is what I am afraid of. I think maybe I could find out a nice 56 inch spring that would net me 8 inches of lift. And hopefully not move the axle back any, so I dont ahve to mess with my driveshaft, since I just made it. If it was going shorter, its one thing, but making it longer costs more money.

Hmmm... 8 inch spring that works well. More like.... 4 inch flip with a 4 inch sppring that works well.

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    6" lift springs even with the axle moved forward is going to be LOTS of firewall interference. My 38.5s hit my cab floor NO PROBLEM with 6" of lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

6. four_by_ken

Or keep the 6 inch spring and do just a 2 inch shackle flip?

7. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Or keep the 6 inch spring and do just a 2 inch shackle flip?

[/ QUOTE ]Thats what i would do.

Later

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    There is that 6 inch spring set in the for sale section. If I didnt have to move springs mounts, I would probably go that route.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those springs are sold Ken...

Rene

9. TruckNutzDude

If you decide to go with 6" springs and the 2" body lift you will be able to clear your firewall. I will sell you my BDS 6" front springs and ORD shackles loaded with greasable bolts and bushings if you are interested. I don't even have any trail time on this setup... it's just been supporting the frame and body for a few months so all the components are new. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. four_by_ken

Send me a pm on what you would want for the springs. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I already have new greasable bushings and new shackels.
    Just to let you know... as of now... it would have to be a pretty good price. I really have to stop spending money soon! At least until it is 'done'
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    If you decide to go with 6" springs and the 2" body lift you will be able to clear your firewall. I will sell you my BDS 6" front springs and ORD shackles loaded with greasable bolts and bushings if you are interested. I don't even have any trail time on this setup... it's just been supporting the frame and body for a few months so all the components are new. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

11. TruckNutzDude

Drop it... 7" of lift /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. four_by_ken

I was just looking at that thread. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Now get some better pictures!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looks good so far though.

What backspacing you have on your rims? 15 or 16.5 ?

13. TruckNutzDude

The rims are 16.5x12 with about 3.75" of backspacing. I haven't actually measured the backspacing yet but I know it's no more than 4". I'd look up spec's online but I got the wheels from 84K5BD /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif so I don't know the brand. The tires came from Mudjunkie82 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I forgot to send you a PM on the springs... derrr... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif