Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keep blowin [Darn] fuse!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jun 23, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Ok, I recently hooked up a stereo system and tach. Everything has been working great, no problems. The other day I tried to turn on my fog lights and no workie.....I then realize the fuse blew. I replace the in line fuse from the acc wire on the switch and proceeded to plug it back into the fuse box. Poof the Horn fuse blows? Hmm lets try that again.....poof....hmmm same thing happens. So I decide to stop doing that and check all my grounds. They seem to be working fine. Does anyone know what might cause this? Also when the horn fuse blows a lot of other things won't work, like the stereo until it has been replaced. It's like the whole left row of the fuse box doesn't work without it. I am considering to just run the power to the battery and eliminate all this freakin mess I have been sweatin' with in this damned desert heat!!! Need cold beer to make me calm.....mmmmm....beeeeeer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If a fuse blows you have a short. Check your wiring job again.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

a fuse will also blow if you pull to much power threw it.

If you are trying to run a high amp draw if it a best idea to run it off a relay that runs off straight battery power with a switch that runs off a small amount of power from the fuse panel or what have you.

It will draw alot less power threw the fuse panel which is a good thing since it is only supplied by a 10 gauge wire and shouldn't have alot of heavy amp accessories run threw it.

You can also run it off direct battery power with a toggle switch too. Make sure you have a toggle switch rated for the amount of power you want to draw, and also install an inline fuse that is above the amp draw of the item but below what the toggle switch is rated for.

Also make sure your relay is rated for you application.

Harley

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I guess I will just run it to the battery instead with the inline fuse. On the switch? The 2 lights are grounded, the two positives are tied together and connected to the power section on the switch, ground..is grounded, and the ACC section will be hooked to the battery. Does that sound right?

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

May sound wierd, but try replacing your cigarette lighter. This short screws everything in your cab up. I once had this happen and wierd things occured. When mine went bad, nothing worked, radio, dash lights, the passenger floor light would come on when I honk horn...ect.

6. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess I will just run it to the battery instead with the inline fuse. On the switch? The 2 lights are grounded, the two positives are tied together and connected to the power section on the switch, ground..is grounded, and the ACC section will be hooked to the battery. Does that sound right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand what you said you did. Did you ground one of the terminals of the switch? If it is a lighted switch it would need a ground, otherwise it won't. Maybe check to see if you grounded the right terminal. Possibly try to unhook what you think may be causing the blown fuse, and then try another fuse and see if it blows. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    May sound wierd, but try replacing your cigarette lighter

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing happened to me! Just threw the stupid element away. Don't smoke anyways /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The accessory ports on the fuse panel are designed to prevent these kinds of problems...