Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keep blowing a bead

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pure Insanity, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have had like 5 flats this week and its REALLY getting old to say the least. Since I went to the 8 lug stuff I went to a 15X14 wide rim in 16X38 TSLs. Ever since I have had a few times when the tires would lose air FAST. Not often enough to worry about since if I keep up w/ checking the air pressure I have no problems.

Since getting a flat last weekend I cant get the tire to stay up for nuttin. Itll sit for days in my driveway, but when I am driving away slow I can hear PSST PSST PSST of it losing air out of the bead. I drove it about 8 miles today and it went from fine to flat. The bad part is when it hits a certain point it just blows the bead off. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Fortunately I was stopped when that happened.

Now I know the 14 wide wheel is standing the bead upright pretty good and thats part of the problem, but I didnt have any problems like this for months and now all of a sudden this tire just wont seat up and stick. The guys at the tire shop are getting tired of seeing me pull in.

I run my tires at 24-25 PSI. The other 3 are just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Does anyone have ANY ideas of what to do? The rim is clean w/ no rust on the bead.

I started thinking of doing the weld on Rockstomper bead locks, but then Ill be increasing the rim width to 16 inches or better I dont want to go THAT wide till I go 44s and I wasnt planning to get new tires for a while. These still have 80% or more tread still on them.

Someone, anyone...HELP! I missed out on a great ride today for fear of it doing exactly what it did to me running across town. Atleast its got me motorvated to buy a fullsize spare, well sorta fullsize, a 38X12.50 on a 15X8. Getting a flat is bad enuf, but going out KNOWING youll prob have one downright bites. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

try using some of that vulcanizing rubber when you remount the tire... might help it stay on the bead a little better, we used to have a problem with 20" rims and the rim spinning inside the tire, roughed up the chrome on the bead, put some vulcanizing rubber down and fixed that problem permanent..

3. Pure Insanity

Thanx, Ill suggest that when I take it BACK in again on Monday. I figured there had to be some kind of adhesive to fix this. I havent discussed it w/ the shop yet so they prob have something there. The first few times they were or I was able to just air it up but its to the point now where it wont stay sealed for crap. I think theyve broke it down twice now.

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yeah bead sealent is really good stuff and it should help out on ur problem.. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

bent rim?
    grant

6. Pure Insanity

1 rim has a few little tweaks in it where I smacked it w/ the tire axe when breaking the junk 44s off them when I got them but I pounded them back out, and it wasnt even this rim. There is 1 small place on the back side of the rim that is leaking down, but not enough to leak. Infact it has never leaked at that spot. Its maybe a 1/4 inch in and maybe 2 inches long total, not bad at all.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

For leaks at the bead, you need to take the tire completely off the rim. Inspect the wheel bead and the tire bead for any junk that might have been trapped between them. Grass, sticks, mud, rocks, rust, etc. Both surfaces have to be VERY clean of air will sneak past the bead. Then inspect the tire bead for any rips, tears, etc. Next, any good tire shop will have some bead sealer. It's a sticky, black goo; almost like tar. Smear a little of that all the way around the bead area, then mount the tire and air it up. There shouldn't be any leak now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif