Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keep Blowing my fuses

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TBlaz8, Feb 12, 2007.

1. TBlaz8

TBlaz8 Registered Member

i keep blowing my spark plug, brake light, reverse light and blinker lights fuses. i have uped the fuse to 20 (normal is 10). i drive a 1989 GMC Jimmy Ful size. any body know how to fix this?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Find the short and repair it. Something is drawing too much amperage or shorted to ground. If it is consistantly the rear brake/turn signal/reverse lights, the first place I would start is near the trailer harness.

You really shouldn't put a 20 amp fues in a 10 amp socket. Fire could result. But, It could lead you to the problem too. Just look for the area of the truck on fire. :ignore:

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Take all of the bulbs out of the sockets and see if the fuse blows.(with the blinkers on or whatever you turned on that blew the fuse) If not, leave (whatever it was) on and start putting the bulbs in, on at a time. When the fuse blows, you have a starting point.
    Corrosion inside of a bulb socket or a bare wire for the socket would be my guess.