Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

keep breaking fenders what do I do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, Jan 12, 2003.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The first time I went out with my 38.5"s I broke the drivers side battery tray off. It ripped 2 big holes in my fenders, and broke the bottom off. I used big washers and put it back together. Now today I was cruising through the desert at 65 mph and all the spot welds on both fenders broke off, and they are coming apart. Is there something I can do, or is fibergalss the answer?

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine have done the same thing multiple times...I'm prolly good for one more weld 'fix-it' and then they're going to the big scrap yard in the sky.

I've heard valve springs on the core support bolts help by not letting the front clip twist as much as the frame...haven't tried it yet though.

Rene

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe relocate the battery to the back? Thats a lot of weight up there in that battery. I plan on moving mine rearward.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have the dual battery setup, so I would have to move two. But putting big washers behind them and using nuts and bolts fixed that problem. Now they are breaking up by the cowl area.

Dan

5. Sandman

You must have some body flex going on there somewhere. Personally, I am a fan of moving the batteries to the back. I plan on putting both of mine behind the front seat. It should help to lose some weight off of the front also.

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Mine do the same thing. Welded them back together twice this year. My solution is going to be a new cage that tie to the frame only and penetrates the floor of the cab through holes with grommets. It will make the frame more rigid and hopefully stop the destruction. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have had similar problems, ripped fenders, crushed radiator supports, and stuff. What I did was the single spring mounted rad support. This way the radiator and fenders are not pulled when the frame flexes. I have a 3" body lift on mine. i got the idea from a K5 i saw in fourwheeler. he didn't have a body lift and just put a piece of angle iron between frame rails. His sat flush.
    floating rad support
    pic 2

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you move the batteries inside with you, make sure of two things. First, they need to be VERY secure. You don't want those chunks of lead flying around inside the cab in the event of an accident. Second, they need to be Optima's or another battery that doesn't use liquid acid as the electrolyte. If the truck rolls over and stops upside down, liquid electrolyte batteries will leak through the vents. Having that stuff dripping on you would NOT be fun. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. Sandman

Really? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

well as many mud pits as i have been in and as many sets of fenders i have went though, i just got a saw zaw and bushwacker fender flars, forget looks i want to use it and tahts hwo i fixed my prob