Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

keep it and fix it or part it out?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rebelk5frk, Oct 29, 2002.

1. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine is selling his 78 blazer to me for parts but the only mechanical problem has something to do with the t-case (np205). I haven't taken a close look at it but from he told me it sounds like it bound up on him and he forced it out of gear and obviously screwed up the linkage or something because it will not go into any gear now. It has a good motor but has a funky 3 speed manual tranny with a column shifter. It's got quite a bit of rust around the fenders and rockers but the floor is solid.

Should I take all the parts I want off of it and sell the rest or should I just figure out the issues with the t-case and have a second blazer to play with and royally piss the wife off?

Also anyone have any info about the 3 speed manuals? I haven't heard of too many folks with them.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If the floor is solid I'de say keep it. As far as the 3 speed I would just swap a 4 speed into it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Keep it, fix it, enjoy it !!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 3-speed on the column is pretty rare in K5's. I've been playing with them for over 20 years and have never even seen one. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Used 205's are pretty easy to find, but you may find that your bud just bent the linkage or something when he tried to force it. That would be a pretty easy fix. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But before you spend much money on it, the first thing I would do is check the gear ratio in the axles. If it's got 3.08's then you're already looking at an axle swap if you want to run big tires on it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A Sawzall can take care of a lot of rust problems around the fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Keep it, fix it, and sell the one you dont want. Make some cash, and dump it into your 401K.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. rebelk5frk

I'll have to take a pic of the tranny for ya' /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm hoping it's just the linkage on the 205.... If I do keep it I sure don't plan on throwing a lot of money at it. That's what my 83 is for /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm with Harry, If I didn't know you I would be calling BS with that colum shift. I didn't know ANY came that way after 72. I have only seen one 72 that came that way and it was converted to Auto. That is a VERY rare truck. It's also as bottom of the line as they come. You sure it's even a 205? In 72 the 3 speed trucks came with a 20 or something and not a 205. If it's a 205 for sure and same 10 spline input as the case that came behind a 465 I might be interested in it if you sell it. Hell I migt be interested in it if it's damage so I can get the fixed yoke peices off it and get a newer 32 spline 205 and convert it to fixed yoke. I have most of the parts other than case and tranny already sitting here to do the conversion

8. rebelk5frk

I'm going to get a closer look at it either wed or thurs afternoon and will let you know exactly what all it has for sure. I've seen the thing a hundred times since he works with me but I've never bothered to get up close and see everything. I always thought it was an automatic from looking inside but I also remember him spending 300 bucks a couple of months ago for a new clutch for it. That's when he told me about it being the 3 speed column manual.

I'm going to take a camera with me so I can post a few pics of it. It's one ugly Blazer but for the price I can't pass it by.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Grimmy, my Chiltons (covering 80-87) has a section on adjusting the column shifted 3 speed manual...not that I've ever seen one myself either but they must have been used at least up until '80 to get covered in this book. I can scan the page if you like?

Rene

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Heck I'm going to write this in the books of "GM never fails to amaze me with weird stuff".
    This truck may have been some custom government jobbie for all we know and not really available easily at the dealer. I doubt somebody converted it . There would be no logic in it but you never know.
    What I would like to see is the build sticker. I bet it has about 4 RPO's and one is paint color and another is interior color and trim. I bet it was a 292 inline 6 also. Might not have come from the factory with the hard top even. The first few years the hard top was the option and the convertable was the base model.
    A definate conversation peice for here but probably of little value as a collectable unless you can document how few actually came that way and I bet it aint many.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

In the early years, not only was the top an option, even a passenger seat was an option! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

12. rebelk5frk

Well after talking with the guy forever about if he actually wanted to get rid of the thing or not I finally picked it up today 4 months later.

It turns out the guy is a moron and doesn't know what 3 on the tree means. It actually has a SM465/NP205 in it.

It has a few odds and ends I can use on my 83 but isn't worth keeping so it will soon be parted out. I still need to clean it up and get pictures of everthing. There is a bit more rust on it than I remember and the drivers side rocker is almost totally gone with a nice big hole on the drivers side floor.

It'll be a few days before I have any pictures. After I decide what stays and what goes I'll post everything in the forsale section.

13. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

my buddy had a 83' pu with 3-on-the-tree which he converted to floor shift. if ya want any more info, i can find out from him. seems like he had a v6 in it originaly.

14. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

My 80 K5 that I just bought has a 250 inline 6 with a 3 speed on the column, np205