Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

keep it or sell the Burban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikayak390, Oct 12, 2005.

1. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

Ok first of all I love my 89 Suburban. It does everything and anything I need a truck to do with out question.

Unfortunately it has minor rust issues, Just rockers and some little bubbling. The paint is dull. The 33 inch tires are now worn down to racing slicks. It could use front springs, a new steering stabalizer, and its was killing me on gas.

So I needed something beter on gas, and needed a "professional immage" I'm looking for new job, a new girlfriend and need a 100% reliable daily driver. I ended up buying a ranger 4x4 to meet these issues. Besides even with the payments it was cheaper than fuel and repairs to the burban.

So now both trucks have been sitting in the driveway for about two months. The burban's got a new motor, everything around the motor is new with lifetime warrenties, all new electronics, a new trans and all new wheel bearings last summer. Maybe 30,000 miles on the oldest important parts. It is mechanically perfect.

Regardless with all the repairs made a 17 year old gas guzzling work horse is not exactly going for high resale value at the moment. Seems to be about $1500-2500 locally for similar trucks in the area.

I don't go way off road much,(dirt roads, mud, snow nothing serious) I technically don't need the burban, but it is so much nicer for moving big stuff, getting through the snow, and of course towing. I personally prefer to drive it over the ranger any time, but reality is getting in the way.

I would really like to just keep the burban, but if I want to drive it It will need the repairs above made. Thats about $1000 if I do all the work (I don't have time for) and I have to pay nj insurance rates on top of that. Its also a little in the way sometimes. Overall I'd be putting more money into it than its worth again.

I figure I will see what public opinion suggests. Any thoughs or comments?

2. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

that's a tough call. I too had a very similar decision to make- sell my deuce and a half or keep it. I loved that truck, and it was a great offroader and attention getter, but DANG, the thing took up my entire driveway, diesel was $3.30 and I got 7MPG, replacing ten tires is VERY expensive, and parts are scarce for a 40 year old military truck. Go with your gut- the hardest part will be DECIDING to sell, not actually selling it. It's a mental block. Take the money from the 'burb and put it into the Ranger to make you feel a little better. If there's a time to sell due to high gas prices, it's now (actually it was a few months ago, but there's still some suckers). If it's your daily driver and you love driving it, you can make the sacrifice of maintenance and gas money, but it sounds like you've already made your decision by buying the Ranger. I bought a $800 Mazda 929 as a daily driver and keep the trucks for fun.

3. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I owned an '85 burb, too. I was spending more every two weeks on gas (back when it was still about $1.50) than what a payment and insurance is on my 2001 ranger I got back in 2002. Also, I needed something reliable with a warranty.

I kept the burban around for a toy, and it rotted more and more. Finally I parted it out, and got a TBI350 Blazer, which made me a little happier.

I suppose you just need to deal with your current situation. I did.