Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keep LT1 or sell and get LS1

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rigez, Jan 5, 2007.

1. rigez

rigez Registered Member

Wanted to get some feedback on this. I have a Corvette LT1 with the matching 4L60E that is in a unfinished 70 FJ40 project. As most of us here I have too many projects going and not enough $$ to complete them all. I'm currently in the process of getting rid of some of the project vehicles.

That said I was wondering what would you do? Keep the motor and tranny or sell and go with the now more affordable LS1 and 4L80E combo? I kinda want to keep the motor and tranny to throw into my 75 blazer for 2 reasons.
    1. I already have them.
    2. Came out of a 96 vette with only 37,000 miles. I verified mileage and had it started up and running before it was pulled at a local corvette dismantler.

Here are some pics of it as it sits right now.

CA8HA9R4.jpg

CAAJ05ER.jpg

CAQFGHYZ.jpg

CAW1IXZS.jpg

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Two questions.

1. Do you really need more power than the LT1 (that is already paid for) can put out for the type of wheeling you do?

2. With multiple project going, when you sell that engine and start hunting another is it going to take money that could be spent finishing another part of the project?

Not trying to get into your business. I have found myself getting into similar projects and upgrade to the point that the project take way longer than it should. If I had stayed with what I had I could have had the entire project completed much quicker and be fully capable.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

a side note.... I appologize for my stupidity.... your motor is a nicer one then that what I started out with.... but will the vette motor be enough? yes 1996 so there is more power.. but for a car... I have a 1991 caprice police 350...roller cam.... well it about sucked.. the power was in the wrong spot....
    I ended up changing out the cam to a comp cams xtreme 4x4 (smallest that they have to keep some kind of economy on fuel) and my truck has woken up....

Id say if it is enough and you own it.. Id keep it and run it as there is no more expense to it...

:crazy:

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I'd say go LS1 all the way. Personally I'd find a 6.0 iron block truck motor.

I don't think that the distributor system in an LT1 belongs in a truck. Plus even a 5.3 would come close to the power of a LT1.

5. rigez

rigez Registered Member

Thanks for the response guys. I'm glad that you are brutally honest with your replies and advise.

Most of the driving is going to be regular road. I do plan on doing light trails, some mudding and hitting the sand down in Pismo. I aslo plan on going from 33s to 35s soon.

I do know about the issue with the with the optispark and will change that out if I decide to keep it. Currently I have a crate 350 in it installed by the former owner. It still runs pretty strong. The reason for using the LT1 is FI. I want the throttle response from it and possible mileage upgrade. The blazer came with a quadrajet that needs to be rebuilt. I had a edlebrock performer installed because i needed it on the road right away and couldn't get to the parts for the other carb soon enough. Italso has a edlebrock intake.

The other obvious thing that i'm sure some of you will say is why not just get the quadrajet rebuilt, put on some header and a mild cam and call it a day. My response is more power out of a cool motor...ooohhh ooooh oooohh...hehehe

thanks again for the response

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The LS1/4L80E is a much better combo in pretty much every way. Lighter, more power. The LS1 makes significantly more power and is lighter. LT1 Camaro's (rated at 285 hp) make about 245 at the rear wheels. LS1 Camaros (rated at 305 hp) make ~300 at the rear wheels IIRC. The 4L80E is a much stronger and more reliable transmission than the 4L60E but requires an expensive stand alone controller unless you are going to use the stock computer with the LS1.