Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

keep manifolds, or headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, Sep 9, 2000.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

i bought some flowtech headers recently, and have been having 2nd thoughts. more heat in the engine compartment, starter worries, clearance issues, flowtech quality. so id like all your input. i plan on going with dual 2 1/2 dumps before the rear axle.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I had headers on my truck when I bought it and they leaked and sounded horrible.
    I bought exhaust manifolds from the yunkyard, installed new studs, and am much happier with the sound and it absolutely does not leak at the head/manifold junction.
    I did notice a a slight loss of high rpm power (like passing someone on the highway), but I do feel a seat of the pants increase in low rpm power (increased backpressure I imagine.)
    -- Mike

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I just installed flowtech afterburners a month ago and am pissed I did not do it sooner. They work like a charm, I have more takeoff power and mid range then I ever had before. I put dual cats on it and a set of turbo mufflers and it sounds sweet as well as being qite functional. Keep the pipes...

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I put on a set of $75 Dynomax non-emisions headers when i dropped in the 355 last November. I have had no leaking problems and I am glad I did it. Oh yeah, dont have the pipes come out under the truck, fumes will seep in. I have mine out behind the rear tires and I have no fume problems, even with the top off.</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

5. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll be putting on afterburners in a week or two. Go for the headers! Who knows who has the best price on these?

73 Topless Blazer

6. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I have the flowtech headers on my 350 now and no starter worries at all. It was a cheap and well worth it upgrade over the stock restrictive manifolds. Any header leaks you might have will probably be due to the crappy gasket they give you. 0r the header being torqued down unevenly on the head. Try a good copper header gasket. the headers sound real good and make more power than the stockers. GO FOR IT. js.

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Which Flowtechs did you get? I have the Afterburners and I'm very happy with them. I didn't even protect the starter or move the solenoid and no problems still.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>Go with the headers, I have a set of Flowtech headers, with Flowmaster mufflers on my Nova and I haven't had any quality problems with them at all, and they sound better than a stock exhaust. I did have some header leaks, even with the good gaskets that are paper with metal in them, however I bought a set of copper gaskets for the collectors and I have not had any problems at all (also, get some good bolts with the locking nut for the collectors). I do plan on putting the copper gaskets on top where they mate to the heads later. Also don't use the cheap paper gaskets that come with the headers. You should not have any clearance problems if you bought the one's specific for your application. As far as the starter is concerned, this will vary from vehicle to vehicle, if you are worried about this just add the remote starter solenoid, but I would just wait and see if you need to do this. - Steve</font color=purple>
    http://www.sosamantx.coloradok5.com/

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I also got the Afterburners from Flowtech. I put mine on about 9 months ago. Still no leaks since then. I also used exhaust wrap. Engine bay still gets hot. I did have starter issues till I installed the remote sollenoid from Summit. I love those headers though, much better than my previous Flowtech cheapies from Adanced Auto for $70. The Afterburners are thick at the flanges. That's important b/c you don't want them to warp. Also for gasket, I'm using....damn, for the life of me I can't remember the name. They cost me $24, they're made of aluminum I think, damn, forgot, sorry, long night of boozin. Anyways, cheapest place I saw the Afterburners were from Summit for $149. JCW had them for like $160 or 170, forgot.
    But my suggestion is go with the headers.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com
    [​IMG]

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've had the cheapie Flo-techs for 3 years now (and 2 1/2 Flow-Masters) I use the factory exhaust manifold gaskets at the head! Works like a charm, and I've never had a leak there yet. Just remember to re-tighten the bolts once in a while. As for the collectors I use the "Dead soft" Aluminum collector gaskets. They seal very well and are re-usable.

I love the sound and power and would never go back to manifolds.

Rene

[​IMG]