Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keep my 80' or buy an 87' - 91'?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Dec 5, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Keep my 80\' or buy an 87\' - 91\'?

I have an 80 Jimmy. I bought it for $2,000 from my parents. Right now it has:

- No carpet or rear sidepanels
    - The tracks and rollers for the front windows are in bad shape so the windows are hard to roll up.
    - The windshield leaks a little
    - Front fenders have cancer, trimmed one so far
    - Recent transmission rebuild
    - 6 yr old GM crate engine, sounds a little weird, like a pinging from the oil pan area and dies if I don't give it gas after I start it up in the morning.
    - Painted half flat black so far, rest is gloss black
    - Lots of holes in body from removing trim
    - Roof over cab flexes easily when pressed
    - etc, etc.

I was looking at Blazers on Ebay and I like the nice interior, overdrive transmission and fuel injected engines. I don't plan on doing "hardcore" off-roading, not anytime soon anyway. So I figure I spend $5,000 on a nice Blazer and put a little bit of money into it. Or I could put money into my Jimmy, but it needs a good amount of work. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1039114784anatomiczero">

80' or 87-91' K5?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Keep the 80' Jimmy
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Get a Nice 87-91'
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: Keep my 80\' or buy an 87\' - 91\'?

like the old commercial says "both" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I would get an 89-91 K5 cause of the fuel injection, serpintine belts, OD trans (if it is going to see the hwy) and less likely to have rust (if it is from the south or west coast). The fuel injection would be the number one reason for me just don't think I could live without it. Just my .02 worth /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

keep the 80, you have an allowance of $3k that you can make/modify the existing blazer anyway you want. most likely your going to buy a late 80's and have to dump money into that one too. you might as build it the way you want. just my $.02 ...and you cant beat the rare 1980 grille!

5. anatomiczero

It's definately going to see the hwy, it's going to be my daily driver. I think I will get a newer one, I might keep the Jimmy, but most likely sell it for $2,250 OBO.

6. anatomiczero

Edmunds.com says a 90 Blazer with a 350 gets 17-21 mpg and has a 31 gallon tank. Is this true? Or does it get more like 13-17 mpg?

7. anatomiczero

I figured out my budget, If I save until this time next year I'll only have about $6,000 or so saved (depending on my next job) That's with $100 a month play money, so maybe I'll just stick with my 80. How do these upgrades sound?

3.73 gears
    new front springs/ 2.5" lift possibly
    33x12.5" BFG A/T
    Engine tune up
    Possibly tint my windows (flat black truck with tinted windows, lifted with bigger tires sounds kinda cool )

Then I could do a custom interior when I make more money and possibly a tbi swap.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

For a Blazer, this is a tough call. Those years are a mix of good parts in the wrong year vehicle.

For example:
    An '80 Blazer has the highly desirable 205 t-case. It also has a 12 bolt rear end, which is stronger than a 10 bolt.

The V-series Blazer have the TBI and much nicer and cleaner interiors. The grilles also look better ('89-'91).

So, its kind of a mix to decide which you really need or want.
    My preference would to get the V-series and swap the rear out for the 12 bolt.
    Swapping the 205 into the V-series can be done, but a few mods need to be done first.

I was looking at an '80 Suburban a few months ago, a 3/4 ton version with a 350/400/205, 10 and 14 bolts all for $1500, running, but with a rusty body.
    Then a friend of mine told me about an '89 Sub he got from a customer with a locked up 350. This Sub is a 3/4 ton also. It was totally rust and dent free, too. Went and looked at it immediately bought it because of the TBI and the fact it had a 350/400/241, with 10 and 14 bolts, but the rear being a semi-floater.
    The '89 also has a way nicer and better interior than the '80 and also the 3rd bench seat.

So, which one did I buy? The '89 of course. Even for $750 and a locked up motor, its still a better deal for me since I can install a new motor and have a more reliable truck...mainly because of the TBI. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Remember to take it one step at a time, all at once, and start getting lost on what part goes here and what is that for??, the 1980 is a rare item indeed, saw one at the junkyard, you are lucky to have one of those. As said of the 89-91 models, yeah great fuel injection and so on but thats newer and more expensive depending on mileage and where has it been.
    No matter what you buy, you're going to put money into it.
    There is no such thing as a perfect mechanical blazer, there is always some small problems with them that can be corrected with a small amount of money.
    Sometime those flaws could lead to a bigger problem later.
    Check the cab and make sure it's sound usually the biggest hum bug thing is the cab thats full of holes, I learned my lesson the hard way on my 78, redid the whole front only to find out that the cab was shot.
    Engine and suspension would be the other catagories to look at, but they can be changed easily.
    I don't know if this is any help to you but from experience in working on my blazers, I'll still learning more about them.
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

No brainer... 87-91. Cruise-A/C-Tilt-Power windows-Power door locks-F.I.-O.D. ect... Those things are nice to have for a daily driver. Keep the 80 for a trail rig &amp; a newer one for daily service. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Jim

11. anatomiczero

My truck is pretty solid, no rust in the cab, tailpan is good etc. The only rust is the front fenders and a few areas that I took care of.

Keeping mine as a trail rig sounds like a good idea, so I'll just fix it up and in the future get a newer one for daily driver. The Jimmy has been in the family for about 9 years so I'd like to keep it, and hearing the 80 is a good year is nice to hear /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thanks for the replies guys.

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

82-91 Blazer or Jimmy with 6.2L diesel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Fuel injected, Overdrive, *and* 20 MPG. Good year range to improve the selection and price. Most diesels seem to have all the options and nicer interiors.

With the GM diesels, people either love 'em or love to hate 'em. Chance of a deal from the latter of the two. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif