Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keep or take back

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mini_mull, Dec 25, 2005.

?

What should I do with my Christmas present?

1. Keep it, your a newb, it's good enough

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. take it back, it won't keep up and/or is from HF

32 vote(s)
    74.4%
  3. I don't care, I got coal for Christmas

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

My hubby got me this air compressor for Christmas :D. I don't take back Christmas presents as a rule, ... but it's from Harbor Freight:( and is a lot smaller than what I'd planned to get:( . It's oiled(good), but single stage(bad). Thing is though if I take it back I can't just go get the one I'd planned since it costs more. I'll probably only use it to run an impact for now, but was wanting to run other stuff in the future. So should keep it until it poops out, or take it back. If you say take it back could you please suggest the a compressor to save for instead.

Here it is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42321

PS Merry Christmas!!

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I voted take it back. My roommate has a harbor freight 30 gallon and it sucks. It will run an impact if u give it time to fill the tank but forget about airing tires up. The 33 gallon upright that sears always has on special comes with a tool kit and is a prety decent compressor. Its around $300 and like I said comes with a decent impact, a drill and something else, I think it was a cutoff wheel. I am planning on getting a 50 gallon upright Ingersol Rand but thats probably more compressor than u need.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I just bought this one a coupla weeks back

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47065

IIRC, it's on sale for ~$169 in store.

For being from HF, it's not bad, and it runs my impact (IR 231) just fine. It cycles a bit more often than my previous Sears one -- which was air-cooled and a POS, which I spent $300 on! -- but as the tank is smaller, it runs for less time when it does cycle.

That Craftsman one for $300ish, even if it comes with tools, is loud and is a miserable design; mine failed twice from metal dust in the garage. Yes, I know, I should take better care of my tools, but it's a SHOP, dammit, and leaving the cylinder open like that is just poor design. I'm usually a Craftsman guy, but that one angers me :mad:

Anyway, so far I'm pleased with the HF, and for the price I thnik you could do lots worse. It's certainly better than that little twin-tank one, which IIRC they run on sale for $89 now and again. Icht.
    -- A

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

compressors are all about how many SCFM it makes @ 90 psi, since most tools run @ 90.

anything less than 5 is BS and you won't like it.

IIRC even small impact guns need 4.6+

6. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

If I gave you the present, I would want you to take it back and get what you wanted. So, I could only assume that he would rather have you get what you want.

Just my $.02 though.

7. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

im with aramp...get what satifies you. you'd rather spend an extra $50-$100 now...then having to cough up $300 a year down the road if your current one ****s out on you.

8. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I voted keep it, only because if you want to run something for a short burst (impact), and don't need a lot of tank capacity (sander or grinder).
    Usually an impact will give more torque than is needed (lugnuts), and should be used to snug the nut, then it should be tighted with a torque wrench. And if it will only get occasional use, I think it would be ok.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and when working on a 20+ year old truck, we all use our impacts in short bursts to remove stubborn bolts. :surepal:

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Take it back, that thing is for topping up tires or running a nailgun. Try to get a better compressor sooner rather than later. Your hubby's perception will be you 'upgraded' his gift, rather than just returning it because its crap.

Get something that puts out at least 10cfm at 90psi. HF has a few models in the 3-5hp range that do this and are relatively inexpensive.

IMO not everything at HF-type stores is crap. We have our "Princess Auto" equivalent up here. Some stuff is based on proven designs - but varies in price between name-brand and off-brand - with the only real difference being colour and labeling.

11. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Only 340 bucks more!!!:wink1: :D

12. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

You can't run impacts with that compressor, just nail guns. Trust me, I've tried. Take it back.

Eric M.

13. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you see where she lives? (no rust) I used a 10 gal homemade compressor for about 12 years, before the USED motor went out on it, I got by with it, and used money for other tools. Then I got my present 60 gal, 6.5 hp. Although it blows away the old one, I sure couldn't afford it back then.

14. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

i have a friend that works at quincy compressors. i have gotten my 3 compressors there. best compressors i have ever used. takes a huge beating. i have 3 due to the sizes. 60 gal 5hp built in the shop, a hot dog portable(bought before outsourcing to china) and a 30 gal for the up north house. only regret i have is not getting the 2 stage for bead setting and the more volume. at the time i didnt think i would ever use the full power of the 60 gal.

i use to use a 30 gal black max, which never could do anythgin i wanted it to. only inflate tires, and nailers.

i feel the compressor is what limits you(not considering the air tools, since you can always have tools that are underpowered) on the type of work you plan on doing, and even the work you may not plan on doing like what happend to me. if you get the better compressor now, you will be able to get better/ more air tools down the line, as the need arises.