Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

keep the 4.56 or buy some 5.13

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramjet gmc, Jul 30, 2004.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I just bought a new d 60 locker and I am running 4.56 gears already should I go to 5.13 ???? my setup 350 700r4 203/205 ORD on 42 TSL what do you think??

And I get in the rocks but do not get me wrong I also like just riding the trails – but I stay away from the mud not my thing

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

since you are already in there I think I would but then again you got the cash to do the rear

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Yea the 5.13 would be better if you had the cash to spend but the 4.56 will work just less power.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

you have a doubler, how do you like it now? and for the price of re gearing, i think there are other things you might be able to spend the $ on

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

4.56 are too tall of a gear for any tire taller than a 35". The 5.13's will keep your engine & tranny in the right rpm ranges for the tires size. Your tranny will thank you and last longer too. Just my $0.02.

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I run 5.13's in my 383/700/241/ 38" SSR combo and I love them. I drove the Jimmy down to College Station, a 5 hr drive one way and I was turning about 2300-2500RPM to go 70-75 and I got about 14mpg in 40 mph headwind

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Patrick, save the money and don't bother to regear. If it were a street truck I could see it but this is a trail only rig and with the Doubler I don't think it would be worth the money to regear.

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

You actually have a hair more final gear than I do right now, the 4.56's will work good for now.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The first question: Are you happy with it's current performance??? Since you are asking the question in the first place I get the impression it must not be that bad.

The next question: Do you drive it on the street, especially at higher speeds (55 mph +) very often???

You have, what I consider, a pretty respectable crawl ratio for the trail. The ONLY reason I would consider spending the time and money to switch from 4.56 to 5.13 would be for the highway performance. With the 4.56 and 42" tires I'm guessing the O/D in the 700r4 isn't used much.

For trail use, the difference in overall gearing between 4.56 and 5.13 is pretty small especially when compared to what the doubler did for the overall gear ratio.

10. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The first question: Are you happy with it's current performance??? Since you are asking the question in the first place I get the impression it must not be that bad. <font color="red"> it is not bad but i am moveing to a larger tire 37 to 42</font>

The next question: Do you drive it on the street, especially at higher speeds (55 mph +) very often???
    <font color="red"> street less then 10 miles and that is pushing it --- and </font>

You have, what I consider, a pretty respectable crawl ratio for the trail. The ONLY reason I would consider spending the time and money to switch from 4.56 to 5.13 would be for the highway performance. With the 4.56 and 42" tires I'm guessing the O/D in the 700r4 isn't used much.

<font color="red"> 4th gear i think i hit it last year but not sence </font>

For trail use, the difference in overall gearing between 4.56 and 5.13 is pretty small especially when compared to what the doubler did for the overall gear ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> i think i will keep my 4.56 </font>

<font color="blue"> i am going with the 4.56 and saving my $$$$$$$$ i still need windows and kitcken /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font>

11. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

thank god good decision.
    I wasnt sure why you even asked the question when I read you had a doubler ?

and is it 37" or 42" /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif thats a huge difference.

I run 42s also with the 4/56 gears and its perfect. although I run a big block so the torque curve makes a huge difference. since you already have a doubler you now the the strongest setup you can get.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if I had a doubler, I'd just stick with the 4.56s. Lots of other places you can put the $ it'd cost to regear. I want 5.13s, but mainly because i dont have a doubler...

j

13. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

My vote is for the 5.13s. I run 'em w/ my 38s. I would've gone taller w/ I upgraded to a d60 front (I plan on going to 42 soon) but 5.13 is as big as it gets for the 14b.