Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keep the Gallery Open, Pic Resizing info...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeff427, May 31, 2002.

1. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Anyone that needs help resizing their pics for the gallery, PM me, and I will help you. I can reduce the amount of space most pics take by more than half, without them visably looking any different.

Just a note to everyone, if you keep your pictures to 600 pixels in width or less, the gallery software will not resize your pictures. This is a good thing, because when the gallery resizes them, especially if they are highly compressed it will actually resize them larger, which will place more demand on the bandwidth.

2. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Re: Pic Resizing info...

3. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

just a note. your computer monitors display pictures at a lower resolution than you think. save photos at 72 dpi and they still look good.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i use webshots for my pics i had one album and deleted all but one i left that one so it would be in the running for blazer of the month

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Here is the same reply I posted on the original thread.
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Well, as they say, just knowing there is a problem is the first step to solving it. Maybe fixing this will help the site get ahead AND keep the galleries open. If people compress their JPEG images, keep them a reasonable size (600 px if necessary, as you found), limit the numbers to reasonable levels, eliminate some of the silly 10 different angles in a parking space pics, AND Steve fixes the software, it could easily reduce the bandwidth by way over 50%

<hr></blockquote>

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks guys, this will really help out with bandwidth, the new software will allow me to set the limit so it will be a no brainer at that point.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Just make sure that if you use the "auto resize to make a duplicate, smaller image" option, you must make sure it compresses the new image. In fact, I'll bet any decent gallery software would provide a means of enforcing compression on uploaded images (dynamically compressing images that are uploaded). It should be able to check the JPEG headers on uploaded files to verify the compression level. If it is not set at or above the minimum, it should be able to compress on the fly as part of the upload. Look through the docs and/or contact their tech support. If it’s not there, it should be… This would be much more efficient for reducing bandwidth than the duplicating auto resize stuff.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The new software will auto do this I believe, the gallery that we have now is freeware, so I got what I paid for I guess. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Got my pics down to 5 ;-)

btt