Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keep throwing power steering belt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Jul 31, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I keep throwing the power steering belt in my 73K20 with 383. Do I need to go with Serpentine? Ive noticed that the pump is not perfectly lined up with my crank pulley. Is there a custom bracket I can get that I can adjust it forwards n back to get it lined up right? I just dont want to spend $400 to go serpentine and Im always warry about junkyard parts. :confused:

2. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

It looks like you already identified the problem, but was it replaced recently?
    If it was not put back together in the right order, or a spacer is left off, it would cause it to be off. Just look which way it needs to be moved, and use some flat washers.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

there is a laser alining tool you can buy for but i can't remember if its 30 bucks or about 3x's that.

I'll take our old belt setups over serpentine any day... you might gain a few hp with a serpentine but you can't pull a belt off of something you don't need (ac, smog pump) with a serpentine.

4. trailblazr81

Well I just dropped in the 383 about a week ago. I tried using stock bracket but the power steering is not lining up. I know the 383 is a 3 groove crank pulley and the original had a 2 groove crank pulley. Doesnt look like I can really adjust the power steering forward or back. Guess I'll get a bracket from summit thats fully adjustable. :dunno:

5. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

Why not just swap the crank pulleys and be done with it?

6. trailblazr81

Dont have old motor or pulleys anymore... :doah:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

thoughts...

A six cylinder P/S pump has a longer shaft than a V-8 one does,so the pulley sticks out further...I learned this the hard way when I tried swapping the pump on my 250 six to a V8 when I swapped motors! :doah: --but in your case,maybe a six cylinder pump would line up with your "mis matched" crank pulleys??..might be worth checking into--on my truck,the pulley was about a "half a pulley" out too far to work on the V8 motor... :crazy: I ended up using a junkyard V8 pump on my truck.. :crazy:

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Does it need to go in or out(out being away from the motor)?. If it needs to go out grab some washers and be done with it. I have about 4 washers on my powersteering pump now and it's fine.

9. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

man good luck with that at least you can see your problem though. my little brothers blazer has plauged me with throwing belts. about evey 3-5 weeks it will throw the powersteering or the alt or both. i cant see any missalignment
    and neither has any of my friends. and i have tried different brackets and mounts (the ones on it now are all new GM). about the only thing i can think of left to do is change pullies. after that its gettin a serp if it dont fix it

balzer

10. trailblazr81

Today I should get my new adjustable mount from Summit. Hopefully that will do the trick. If this doesnt fix it, I'll just go manual steering!!! :haha: