Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keeper instructions - do you use it like it says?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Skigirl, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Instructions that came with my Keeper strap follows. I've never used one before. Do you all use it like the instructions say?

1.Attach only to vehicle frame or hitch strong enough for extreme towing stress (how strong is a hitch pin anyway??). DO NOT USE PORTABLE METAL HARDWARE such as chains or hooks to attach strap to vehicle.

2. To attach to frame, form a loop around the frame by passing one end loop through the other. Or attach to tractor hitch pin or frame mounted tow hook strong enough for extreme towing stress.(Anybody have a tow hook mounted to the frame? - My bumper is thicker metal than the frame.)

3. Tie a rag around strap to protect from sharp edges. Be particularly careful of sharp edge on bottom of bumper.

Then it goes on to how to yank somebody out. That part I get. But I thought everyone hooked their recovery straps with clevises.

So, is this how it's done? Seems like a big PITA to wrap around a frame then put one end loop thru the other (especially if it's a 4" strap). /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i had a clevis on my hitch, removable type. a hitch pin can be rated up past 10klbs. mine was like 9k or so. BUT, i refuse to use straps for anything but hitching to trees. seen far to many ofthem break. if you got somebody who knows what is going on with the cahin you will be fine
    Grant

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't loop a chain around the frame and then attach the tow strap to it. If the chain breaks then the energy stored in the strap can propel the chain right through your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Your bumper is a tad different than a stock bumper. There's probably enough steel in that monster to make 8-10 stock bumpers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif However, how strong are the bolts holding it to the frame? I've seen some pretty stout bumpers get ripped completely off during aggressive snatching. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The sharp edge comment also mostly applies to stock bumpers. Most of them will act like a knife edge when a strap is yanked tight and cut the strap in two. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just use common sense and you should do just fine. On my S-Jimmy I stick the loop of the strap into the reciever on the trailer hitch and insert a hitch pin through the loop.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Harry: there are 3 grade 8 1/2" bolts to each frame rail. And in front, 2 D-rings are attached to the bumper. I also have portable 1" clevises, rated for something like a million pounds. Of course they say not to use anything portable. I have chain rated to 14,000#, but wouldn't use it with a strap. One or the other.

Are hitch pins graded, like bolts?

And... Happy Holidays! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. HarryH3

Pam, take a look at how close to the end of the frame some of the bolts are. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif What I've seen happen is that the frame rips as the bolts slide forward from the stress. It leaves the end of the frame rails looking pretty ugly. But I've only seen it happen when someone was being stupid and doing wide-open, full length of the strap, running yanks. The shock load is pretty extreme! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Again, common sense use will probably result in no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Those monster clevises will most likely hold just fine. But if one were to break, the rest of it would be launched through the truck on the other end of the strap. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Don't yank like you're trying to extract the Queen Mary from a mod bog and it should be just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't know that hitch pins are graded like bolts, but they are hardened and will take years of abuse from the hitch, with trailers up to 10,000 lbs, and still look new. The thing I like is that even if one did break, it's retained on both sides so it's unlikely that it would become a missle. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And Happy Holidays to you too!

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Most of them will act like a knife edge when a strap is yanked tight and cut the strap in two

[/ QUOTE ]
    A friend let himself to my strap one time to use to pull his car home. I get it back and both ends are fraid BAD. Next used ended up braking both ends off my strap. I made him replace my strap

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Cool! Just learned another new thing from CK5... Never thought of using the hitch pin for recovery... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Harry: Yea, the bolts are from 2-6" from the tip of the frame rail. Steve (over at MOO) suggested that I get the bumper welded to the frame (forget where he said exaxtly, whether on the bumper itself or the bolt heads). I opted not to so I can take the bumpers off when I need to. You know that's why I have that engine hoist in my garage LOL!

And, not being a 20 something year old boy, I'm hoping that my girlie common sense (and general respect for my continued undamaged existence) would prevail and I would not floor the truck to yank some POS out of a mudhole! (No offense to all you talented 20 something year old guys here!)

Or dare I say, let someone else do that to my truck.

Good point on the hitch pin being contained. Also keeps you from having to loop the strap ends thru each other.

Gonna hijack my own thread here, to ask you another question. If you recall, I have my ConFerr rack mounted only on the shell and not mounted anywhere on the cab. The lights up there are 1 wire, so I need to ground the rack to the body, or run ground wires from each light mount down inside the cab thru the shell and ground there -which is a long run, and with the Linex's interior leaves only a few points available. Thot it might be a better idea to run a honkin big ground wire from the rack and screw it into the cab top. Short run. Then cover the connection to the cab body with silicone for weatherproofing. Your opinion?

9. HarryH3

You could get away with just grounding it to the body, but I'd add another ground strap between the body and engine also. The factory design doesn't have too many high amp devices grounded through the body, so a beefier ground connection would be a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Harry, will do. I have an extra HD battery ground cable that'll work perfectly.

11. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

guess I made out better than you. Loaned my truck, one of theirs broke down, used my superwinch strap wo tow the dead truck, ran it over tied knots in it, boke it, frayed it, you name it. Took the dead battery out of their dead truck so they could put mine in it. Pulled it out while running, kept my battery but left their Optima in my truck. I don't think I'll make em replace my strap. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif