Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

keepin' cool

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 400ci'79Jimmy, Dec 5, 2001.

1. 400ci'79Jimmy

400ci'79Jimmy Newbie

keepin\' cool

The engine bay for my Jimmy seems to be very hot compared to other trucks. The header gasket seems to be in tough shape, so I will replace that, but could there be other things adding to the heat problem? And speaking of headers, has anyone had any experience with header wrap or sleeves. Do they help significantly? Why does the wrap manufacturer state header warranties may be voided, do they concentrate the heat so much in the pipe that it weakens it. Thanks for your advice!

Oops, I mean it's a 1977.

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Re: keepin\' cool

When you put a wrap on a header it will bake the nickle alloy out of the metal, the pipes become brittle and blow out. Those header raps are for race cars. Rhol makes the best header gasket on the market. They are hard to find and expensive but the work great. Their are aluminum and copper header gaskets on the market they are reuseable but I have had no luck with them they still leak. I like the Rhol gaskets. Summit used to sell them.