Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

keepin it clean

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Jul 29, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

what do you guys use to clean mud and crap off the underbody?

after a hard day in the mud, my engine bay is a mudpie...usually the degreaser at the car wash will take care of things but there are so many little knooks and crannys under the body to clean....how do you all do it?

spray bottle and a toothbrush?

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I just use a pressure washer at home. Depending on how much mud I've caked on, sometimes it can take me 2+ hours to get it all off. I just drive up on ramps and start washing. If you do a lot of muddin you might want to buy a cheap pressure washer so you don't have to drop tons and tons of quarters in at the car wash.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I take it to the carwash and feed the machine 6 quarters for 3 minutes. I then clean the body and frame with it with the only intention of blasting the clumps off.

I then take it home and clean it with the garden hose. I live in the city now and have 75-80psi of water pressure so it can blast stuff off pretty good. It's a real blessing when you used to live in the country and 45psi was a lot of water pressure. Anyway, I just take my cloth mit, my tire brush, my parts washing brush, a can of Basin, Tub & Tile cleaner, and a bottle of Dynamo out there and clean it. Wisk does a better job of cleaning but it has salt in it.

If I'm really serious about cleaning I'll use a toothbrush as well but 99% of the time the parts washing brush does the trick.

Basin, Tub & Tile cleaner is 10x better at cleaning than engine degreaser. Scrubbing Bubbles is almost as good. Just like engine cleaner, it will kill the grass if you use a lot. The only difference is that it doesn't have an oily texture to it like engine cleaner.

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I saw some silicon based (I think) spray advertised on Trucks! TV... I didn't get the product name or maker though... This stuff supposedly is just sprayed on the undercarriage, and is periodically reapplied after wheeling and washing. As I understand it, this stuff allows you to basically "rise" off the under cartridge with a water hose...
    I'll try to check their web-site for info...
    I'll let you know what I find out...

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I e-mailed Trucks! TV for info.... but I'm not gonna hold my breath for a response....

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are Lazy like me...Get a sprinkler with adjustable spray patterns set it on top of the tires for about 30 min each then set it underneath. If it doesn't get it all off it will at least soften it enough to knock it off with a garden hose /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

hahaha
    i like that sprinkler idea!

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Lol Me too! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I try to spray vegitable oil under my truck before I go playing in the mud works real good when It comes time to clean it.