Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keeping a battery warm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ned Kelly, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It always helps to keep the battery warm. Warm battery does = improved battery performance. However, there is one major flaw. The passenger compartment gets just as cold as underhood, over time (say sitting overnight). So in the end, I don't see it helping that much. I think I seen little plug-in battery heater wraps.

3. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

not to mention once the vehicle warms up the engine compartment is probally warmer than the pass. compartment

4. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was thinking either putting a battery blanket (50-80 watt size is standard ) around the battery or having an electric interior auto heater blowing onto the battery overnight to keep the battery warmed (and also warm the passenger compartment as a bonus). Both types of these warmers are frequently used here. Gooid point about the engine bay warming up, but I'm not sure how much the battery would get warmed up. Maybe I'll put a thermometer by my current battery and see what it reads after 30 minutes or so.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My GMC never had any problems when it was -40 or so out here. But I do have a 1200 cold cranking amp battery too, so that makes a bit of a difference :)

That said, one of those little blanket warmers would work well for helping to start in the morning.