Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keeping it cool...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speed_deed, Jul 14, 2002.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I know alot of us have problems keeping or trucks cool, especially during the summer. My '85 only has 58k on the meter but is 17 years old, I plan on rebuilding it sometime on the near future, mostly just because of how hot it runs. I havent driven it since January and then I had it running pretty smooth, just had to adjust the timing once in awhile, but before that I ad to pour water in it all the time, and it kept getting so hot that I would have to pull over and let it sit awhile or if it was raining I would just open the hood and sit. What are you guys bolting on to keep your engines cool?

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Do you run a fan shroud? Is your fan clutch running correctly? Is your thermostat sticking, what heat range is it? Whens the last time you had the radiator cleaned out? You could also pull the radiator and clean out the fins. My wifes car had dried grass plugging up the cooling fins. Just some thoughts. I just installed a brand new motor and it runs identical (heat wise) compared to the old one.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have no cooloing problems with mine. Its been 105 lately. I'v been wheeling, and done some towing and running the AC. Temp never gets over 210. I just have the stock HD cooling system.

The problems that you are having sound like the cooling system needs to be serviced.
    Check the thermostat is it good? Maby installed up side down?

Drain coolant out of the radiator. Shine a flashlight down the fill hole and look at the cooling tubes. Are they corroded whith a bunch of white stuff around them? If so you need to pull the radiator and take it to a shop and have it cleaned out.
    Either that or buy a new 4 core radiator around 150.00

Is your clutch on the fan working?? Take a look at it. if it is leaking oil or you can spin the fan and feel no resistance it probabally needs to be replaced.

Also if you are loosing an exessive ammount of coolant and it is not leaking or boiling it out you may have a bad head gasket

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

How much difference does an oil cooler make in temps during trail runs? Just wondering since mine warms up real fast on the trails...

-Dan

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

they make an enormous difference in road race cars,
    every semi truck diesel engine has them

I would say it would be $$$ well spent

I think BeCool has an aluminum rad with an engine oil cooler built into the cold side,
    it got rave reviews in 'building the perfect pony' by Scott Griffith

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i have an about 16 k crate and i had changed the thermostat awhile back for some reason and it was a 196 and my truck would run like 210-220 and i have a 4 core rad . i yesterday i put in a 165 and it barely get to 190 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif perfect imo . but most all of my stuff is almost new .

7. KRAZIE87K5

I'm pretty sure I put a 165* thermostat in the 454 when I built it, but I might just drop ANOTHER in just to be sure! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Might just be the best $5 I've spent on the rig in a long time! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Dan

8. KRAZIE87K5

mj-

I just dropped $140 in a new 4-core, so I can't really get a whole new rad. if I expect to sleep in the house... the wife would kill me! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Soooo, which oil cooler should I use? I've got the spacer that gets inserted between the filter and the block in the garage somewhere, but no lines or cooler. Which should I get for the best results? Should I get one with its own fan?

How about this:
    Perma-Cool Maxi-Cool Coolers PRM-12315
    Perma-Cool Maxi-Cool Mounting Kits PRM-108

Sounds good? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

-Dan

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Is your fan in the right position? It should be half in and half out of the shroud.

Flush coolant (half water, half coolant).

Check fan clutch (if a clutch fan).

It may be a bad/corroded water pump.

I am running a custom five core radiator, with shroud, and clutch fan. I did NOT want to overheat.. ever!

I am finding, my water pump is slowing down more and more. I have also found a 3/16" hole in the thermostat (180 degree on mine) works well for my area.. two or four days of the year does it ever get below 32 degrees here. I also take it into Tahoe, Ca and ski.

It was 113 the other day and I was upset that my heads (mechanical temperature gauge in the head near exhaust) got to 195. I think my auto tranny going through the cooler in the radiator is to blame for some of the additional heat. I have/had one of the 30k lb tranny coolers too. Now I have a sm465. I have not seen it go above 185 degrees.

Good luck.