Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

keeping it leagal (Headers)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rusty79, Nov 22, 2001.

1. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

I need to find a good set of headers for my 79 that will keep the truck street legal replacing the entire exhaust system and figured id start there and if you guys know aprox pricing and from where that would be a great help to looking forward to getting this thing to move under its own power.
    TIA
    Dave

2. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

I have a 79' and live in CO, this is what I did and it passed emissions test fine:
    Took all the EGR and hot stove from the Manifolds (I think that is what they are called) when I swapped to an Edelbrock Set-up (Performer RPM and 650 Electric Choke) then I just went with Summit and bought:
    Hooker Comp Headers - 115.00
    Hooker Pipes - 110.00
    Flowmaster Delta 60's - 99.99/each x 2
    Checker Cats - 100.00/each x 2
    (don't buy these they clog up bad)
    3.5 Chrome Tips - 40.00/piece x 2
    Labor was about 60.00-75.00 I can't remember
    It sounds sweet but you can lower the price depending on the mufflers and I think that you can buy cheaper Cats. also.
    All in all it came to about $600.00
    Damn that's a lot !!!

Shane-

79' K5 Body Hurting But Runs Great!!

3. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

does the egr mount to the header or the exhaust pipe i cant remeber its been a month since ive even looked at and when we pulled the old motor we just used the hoist to yank the manifolds away from the pipe so i didnt even look to be honest it im dreading buying cats and muffler think im gonna go with glasspacks just cuz they are cheap and im still looking for a decent hiflo cat that doesnt cost a fortune

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What do you have to have in your area for it to be legal?

I got coated headers and duals for less than $350, but I don't have to pass emisisons.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

visual inspection only in my county.

6. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

anybody else have any ideas?

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Look at Edelbrock TES headers.... they are street legal....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

8. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

where did you find those at dont see a model for my truck under jegs or summit and there is only one speedshop in my area they are really expensive. do you know about how much those normally run

9. ChevyCaGal

Try Steph's Webpage&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy

10. big75jimmy

big75jimmy Registered Member

On my '75 I have some used headers that I bought for $20 and dual 2 1/2 in. pipe with 18" glasspacks and 3 1/2 chrome tips the exit in front of rear tires. no smog equipment at all.

11. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i was hoping to get away with cheaper than 300$ i checked them out and the earliest they have is an 81 and im not sure if that would squeek by and im not sure how the emissions stuff i need hooks up been to long since i looked when i get home from work ill have to check it outand unfortunatly i havent seen any used headers that would fit in our trading post either that or they are charging more than new

12. ChevyCaGal

Then just get some Flowtech headers for like $100-$125 bucks... then get the rest of the set up in a kit (the pipes and mufflers) you can buy and be done with it. When it comes time for the visual take it off and put back on the old set up make em happy then switch back..... you aren't going to be able to do this for less then $200 realistically for a cheaper set up and more for brands like Hedman and Edelbrock.... also depends on the mufflers you choose to run as well for the amount of $$$...

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy

13. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

thanks a bunch guess ill have to get good at swapping the manifolds out oh well there is plenty of room in there

14. ChevyCaGal

You can also try to make buddies with a place that does the visual inspection so you don't have to switch it back and forth. You got it easy with just having to do that (not like here in CA with the smog games we have to play). Lots of times if you go to someplace where there's a groups of guys there who like lifted K5's they'll just look at it, smile and slap a sticker on it.....

Suck Fumes Ford Boy

15. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

there are a couple places around her like that but i have been driving a newer vehicle the past few years and havent had to worry about anything but normal maintanence so i gotta figure out which ones are still a lickem and stickem but good idea think i may just run manifolds to get the inital inspection done but thats a ways off cuz of the rust holes :|