Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

keeping my rig running cool in Moab...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jul 11, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok gang, we all know its gonna be HOT in Moab during Blazer Bash... 110 degree temps would prolly be common. Knowing this, I wanna make sure my rig wont be overheating every 10 feet. I do have a large new radiator... and a tranny cooler... but what else should I look at doing before I go? My fan is stock, would a different model help? How about using synth oil just in case my temps do get a little wacky? any ideas appreciated,

J

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    You could throw a couple of electric fans on your radiator, and one on the tranny cooler. Hook them up to some switches and turn them on when things get hot.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I assume you put all new hoses on when you did the radiator...........right? New belts are a good option also (or one if you have serpentine). Spares of all the above are warranted in that hellhole of heat /forums/images/icons/cool.gif .

The issue you might find is that stock fan works fine on the highway but in low speed crawling situations it will likely NOT keep the motor cool enough...........the idea Calclips offered about an auxiliary electric fan is a good one. Might have to make it a pusher at this stage but that will keep your tranny cooler cool, as well as the radiator/condenser (if you have AC, which I'm sure you won't run on trail)

Add in a power steering cooler when you do the rock ram/WTO/crossover upgrade I think you're doing. That is a definite no brainer and is very cheap and easy to do. Did mine when I went crossover, cost $30 at GI Joes and is good insurance for the steering fluid cooling. Adds capacity. Also run all synthetics, especially in the steering system. That's all I run. Here's my steering cooler............ [​IMG]

4. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Red Line water wetter cooling system treatment.

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Of course your engine fan has a shroud right??

And of course this fan is half in and half out of the shroud.. too?!?!

I tried setting my fan all the way in, and slightly out, and later I learned they should be half in, and half out of the shroud edge.

Good luck!

I decided to keep my rig cool a long time ago, I have a custom 5 row radiator! And a stock clutch fan. I get upset when I see my heads running at 195 degrees! I get this on the freeway when the outside temperature exceeds 100 degrees...
    I think my tranny cooler messes up the radiator and the engine temps. Now that the auto is gone! WOOOHOO!!! I can hardly wait to see what it does in these 110 degree temps today!
    BTW: I am running a 180 degree thermostat.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok how much will a power steering cooler cost? i burned up one pump wheelin i don't wanna kill another. and an electric fan?

i have a brand new oil cooler, a 4 row radiator and a clutch fan eliminator (the fan runs non stop), and a new thermostat.

will one electric fan do me any good? if you're looking at the radiator with the grille removed, the new oil cooler is on the right side of the radiator and the left side is open. should i mount a fan there? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

7. muddysub

fan clutch eliminator jegs part # 771-24750

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Paid $25 for the tranny cooler. Cheap insurance......... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. muddysub

just realized i already have a PS cooler. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif would a 10" or 12" pusher fan do me any good? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

10. muddysub

dang if i were half as smart as i am stupid, i'd be a genious!!

i don't even need an auxilary fan, my regular fan runs all the time so i have to block some air flow in the winter and i just now removed the piece of cardboard that had in there blocking air. i'm all set! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You have a winter in Vegas? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I usually go there every Christmas to visit the folks and it always been in the 50's to 60's! Only person walking around in t-shirt and shorts!

12. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

could you possibley give me more info on the power steering cooler ? could you run it off a stock ps pump w/o all the extra rock type crap ? is the cooler just like an aux. tranny cooler. could you send me pics of how you got the lines spliced in ? i have been toying with this idea for quite awhile. i know they make power steering filters also /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . i just know there is alot of pressure there and what ever you put in better be able to take it. some vehicles come stock with a ps cooler, like maybe some ford cars /forums/images/icons/confused.gif , but i havent found any in the salvage yard yet. any info is greatly appreciated. thanks. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

13. muddysub

yeah we have winter here! we got 1" of snow last winter! the whole town freaked out. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The PS cooler is fed off the return line (low pressure) of the box, to the cooler, then back to the return inlet of the pump. Don't know about the rock ram setups. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

No different, still feeds the cooler from the return line...

16. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you are eally using the return side, it runs at about 8 lbs or lower of pressure, the high pressure side would probably blow a filter apart, and not do good things to the cooler, besides you want to cool the oil as it goes into the pump and not when it leaves.

17. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I have the stock fan and a modified shroud (for the lift) on my truck with dual electric fans. I hardly ever need them but just in case I can flip a switch on inside. I don't have AC anymore so I just put them in place of the evap. coil and it fit great! As for the power steering, I just added a small tranny cooler (about $35) in front of the left fan (not shown). With my locker on, I use to heat up the PS and squeal really bad, making it hard to turn. Once I did it I had no more problems. Best $35 I've spent in a while. See below....
    [​IMG]
    Hope this helps. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif