Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keeping water out of a homemade snorkel? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFrog, Jul 12, 2004.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I've been toying with the idea of doing a snorkel, but the only thing I can't figure out is how to keep water from rain, etc. from coming into the air filter. I have done some searching and it seems like everyone recommends the ARB because that is one of the features. I do not want to spend that kind of money on a snorkel though. So does anyone have a solution? If not what would be the downside of running the snorkel between the battery and overflow tank and just redirecting the intake of the filter depending on what I'm doing? In this I mean, I would keep the air intake tube in the stock location (next to the radiator) for normal driving, when I'm on the trail I would then unhook the air tube and hook it up to the snorkel. The air tube would have plenty of stretch to make it work. I can't think of any downsides, can you? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Idea on a snorkel

[ QUOTE ]
    If not what would be the downside of running the snorkel between the battery and overflow tank and just redirecting the intake of the filter depending on what I'm doing? In this I mean, I would keep the air intake tube in the stock location (next to the radiator) for normal driving, when I'm on the trail I would then unhook the air tube and hook it up to the snorkel. The air tube would have plenty of stretch to make it work. I can't think of any downsides, can you? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a member who has done something similar. I believe he made a PVC piece that would connect onto the opening at the front of the truck and kind of make like a periscope type intake. It would come off when not needed.

Just a thought, I would change the title of the post to something like "Any ideas on how to keep water out of homemade snorkel?" That way people don't think this is the same old snorkel post.

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Haha.. alright I'll change it.

About the snorkel though, I was thinking of something that would remain permanent, but I would only use it when I needed it.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

How about having the intake in the cab. I've seen a few setup like that.

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hmm.. That is a thought.

With my special heating and cooling system in my blazer I could have hot air in the summer and cold air in the winter /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I was thinkning of something like this (photo courtesy of crazy427 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif)
    [​IMG]

I would just unhook it when not in use and hook it back up at the stock location next to the radiator.

6. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Just an idea,

Maybe you could make or find a large can (coffee?) or a pot or such and afix it upside down and so that the filter would be inside it. It would be open on bottom, yet dry on top.

Maybe not the best idea, but you did ask!! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe you could make or find a large can (coffee?) or a pot or such and afix it upside down and so that the filter would be inside it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't the military hummers have a cap on the top similar to the above idea. If you could find one of those you'd be set. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I'll go look for a pic.

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Some thing like this......
    snorkel
    You can even buy them there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

how about facing the intake towards the rear of the truck? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Yea exactly like that. Here's the Hummvee pic
    [​IMG]

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I imagine it would be a huge pain to rig one of those up. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I dont think it would be to hard the bottom is just a tube that you could use a pvc coupler to connect it to the pvc pipe that runs into the engine compartment and to the air cleaner.

13. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

This is exactly the same setup as I have. Just when you put the top on it, you use a 90* and dont glue it. I turn mine forwards in the winter, so I can get a ram air type effect, then turn it backwards in the summer for dusty roads or mudding where splashes might find thier way in. In all reality, I dont think a forward facing snorkel spout 3-4" in diameter would ever let enough rain in to cause problems anyways. But, if you sweat it, turn your spout backwards.

Mike
    [​IMG]

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Mike, is that your truck? it's very nice looking. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Is yours a daily driver?

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You need to look at a real deal snorkel head to understand how it deals with the water. The tube at the top is double wall and the airflow in creates a venturi effect that slings the water to the sides. There are weep holes that the water then drains out of. There use to be a cutaway picture ARB had that showed exactly how it works. It was pretty slick. I looked and could not find that picture.

As for a Hummmer style. It would be easy to do on a 81 up truck. You route the intake up in to the air box at the base of the wind sheild and have it come up through the cowel.

17. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Yup, thanks!
    It drives me to work everyday, except for the last couple weeks. I just finished a 454 swap into her. Now it should be back to daily status! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I just looked at the pic I put up. It now has half doors on it also, so its fully into 'summer config'.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mike