Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keeps popping out of "Loc"?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weisel, Mar 21, 2001.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Keeps popping out of \"Loc\"?

When I go offroading, my trancefer case keeps popping out of the Loc positions. It dose it in High and Low Positions.

Insurred by Smith & Wesson

2. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

Re: Keeps popping out of \"Loc\"?

sounds like the linkage between the shifter and transfercase is out of adjustment

3. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

if you have the 203 transfer case it probably is your chain that is worn out

4x4k20

4. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

ya,,,I have a 203. What dose changing the chane involve?

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Are you sure about that, 4x4K20? I've heard that the symptoms of a worn chain is jumping teeth, not popping out of Loc. I think it's simply the linkage out of adjustment.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Do you have a body lift. If so the hole in the hump is too small and when the body flexes it will knock it out of lock. Had this happen to a friends truck and it took forever to figure it out.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

7. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

no lifts at all. Just stock k5. It seams that after I hold it in loc for a while while driving, it stays in better. And it only pops out when I hit bumps and stuff. Im getting pritty good at holding it with my right foot and driving w/ my left.

8. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The 203 has two shift levers on the case. One shifts from Hi to Lo range. The other shifts from Hi-Loc to Hi and Lo-Loc to Lo. I believe the on on the inboard side is the range lever and the one on the outboard side is the Loc lever. Shift the transfer case to Neutral (you should be able to slide a pin in the shifter when it is in Neutral from the bottom side). See if there is any play in the linkage. The hole that the linkage goes into may be worn out not allowing the shifter to go into Loc all the way. With it popping out of BOTH Hi and Lo Loc positions, don't think it's an adjustment but more of an indication that the linkage or shifter (or both) may be worn. Chain stretch is usally a noisy case and jumping teeth.

9. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Were do I stick the pin? And it dose make a little noise (brief grind) when the system is under a load, like when I'm slowly climbing up a very steep mound of dirt or something. Is that the noise of the chain?

10. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Lets back up a sec. There is a bracket that both the range (h/l) and loc levers are in. Both move inside this bracket. There is a hole in the bracket (3/32 i think) that is supposed to line up with both range and loc levers when the t/case is in nuetral. There are adjustment nuts on the linkage levers so you can get it all to line up properly. The little noise sounds like a chain jumping or rubbing on the case. Either way, it is stretched and needs to be replaced (if it is indeed the chain)

[​IMG]

11. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Is that a do it yourself kind of project? I can rebuild engins and stuff, and would like to learn new things. Or should I send it to a specialtist? And is there a way to verify the chain problem

12. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

If you can do an engine rebuild, you should be able to do it yourself. Still, it is quite involved and would take a good deal of time. Definately get a Haynes or Chilton manual and go over the procedure before attempting.

[​IMG]