Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keg for a tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Sep 20, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

Jan 8, 2005
    I have made a gas tank for a gokart with a pony keg but i wanted to know if i could do it for my k5. does anyone know if gas tanks have to go through the DOT thing. i want to do this but dont want to put all my time into it and it not be leagal. anyone know?
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Feb 27, 2000
    You live in California, home of the antichrist reincarnate, otherwise known as the Air Resources Board.

If your truck is expected to pass smog, that includes a visual inspection, which I am quite sure would flunk you for having a keg :haha:

If your truck is diesel or pre-1976 model year, you'd be a lot better off.

-- A
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

A beer keg makes a fine gas tank--wont ever rust!--but its not D.O.T. approved,and in a state with emission laws,it will be a thorn in your side to get an inspection sticker.(it will fail the "visual" inspection).

My older brother made a beavertail ramp truck from a 79 Ford Econoline "cube" van a few years back,and used 2 beer kegs as gas tanks..nearly every time we went to New Hampshire to the racetrack,we'd get pulled over at weigh stations because it was a dually rear end..--

But it was less than 10,000 lb gvw,so we were "exempt" from being weighed--but the beer keg tanks were always scrutinized very closely--many inspectors thought the E-350 van would be a diesel,and were ready to "stick" the tanks to see if we were using "on road" diesel fuel!--they were dissapointed to find it was a 351 gas powered rig!--but they checked the tanks anyway--just to make sure gas,and not BEER were in them! :haha: :haha: