Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kegerator problems

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tx_sub, Mar 13, 2005.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I got a kegerator from a friend and got it all hooked up with new lines regulator, tap and tank. My problem is that the first keg I put on it foamed the whole time. I tried to play with the pressure but had no luck. Then I bled down the pressure and put on the trusty old hand pump. Still only foam. I am convinced the keg was to blame. It was during mardi gras and all they were selling down here was lousy lite beer.

Sorry for the long story. What pressure do you run your system at? I know a few of you have kegerators. Burblover comes to mind. Please chime in and help me out. Thanks

2. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not home right now but will be after supper and could check for sure, but I think mine is set at 8 psi.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

pressure is directly related to the line length, type beer, etc. I run my system with approx 5' of line and microbrew. I start the keg at 4-6 psi & go to 6-8 as the kegs gets empty.

Do you have one guage or two? Two is better as you can regulate the pressure to the keg better. Also, remember the adjustment for the outgoing pressure turns opposite. So, you may think you are turning pressure down, but may actually be turning it up.

I recommend shutting off all pressure and the releasing the pressure on the keg. Keep it refrederated. This will allow for some of the excess pressure to go down. If the keg has been overpressureized, there will be excess CO dissolved in the beer. This will continue to give off foam.

Be patient grasshopper, for you have the power:grin:

Once you get it figured out, it will be easy to maintain. Just don't foget to clean out your lines/tap between each different type of beer and after 2-3 kegs of the same. This will make a big difference. in flavor.

Let meknow how it works.:thumb:

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

8 sounds about right, but I'd still blame the keg, sometimes you just can't get em to stop foaming...My advise is to drink it as fast a possible and get another...:grin:

5. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replies. i do have a dual guage regulator. its on a 10# bottle which is too big to fit inside fridge box. how much would that effect the co2, the temperature difference, that is?

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

CO bottle outside is no problem. I have a 20lb bottle setting behind my fridge. I run the lines through the back of the fridge and to the keg. That is how most people do it anyway.

Take Fume's suggestion & drink fast & get a new keg:grin: In the meantime, foam is like 80% beer. Fill a picture full & let it set in the fridge. Then drink.

On you next keg, I recommend maintaining the CO at 6psi until you see if you need to go up or down. Then attach to keg and pour. Most people will tell you to wait, but I'n not that patient. Don't adjust the CO until after 3-4 pints to see how it's going. Once you get the PSI down, the rest just flows naturally (pun intended:D ).

Also, everytime you adjust the CO down, purge the tank. Otherwise, the si didn't go down yet.

7. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

Success

Gentlemen, we have cold flowing BEvERages. Thanks for the help. That first keg must have been bad.

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

In best George Peppard voice, "I love it when a plan comes together" (Hannibal from the A-Team)

Glad it worked out. I love my kegerator. Cheaper and fresher.