Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kenwood amp

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 69K5, Mar 24, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

My friend gave me Kenwood amp (KAC - 520). He said I could use it for the eights that he gave me ( all I know is PT-80 and 175 watts) Well I went to the kenwood website and looked it up. It says that the amp puts 35 watts to each speaker. is that enough for the eights. I dont care about award winning systems. I just want to be able to here the bass sometimes. As you can tell I know absoloutly jack about speakers and such. I also have 2 6 x9's and 2 4 x 6's hooked up. i was just wandering if this was worth putting in for the eights or not? thanks for the help in advance.

69K5
    Nathan

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

should be ok, all depends on what kind of power the 8's are wanting, also if they are dual voice coil, probably not, but if they are you cand wire them down to 2 ohm and get a little more power out of the amp, check the stats on the amp you may be able to bridge it as well and pull some more umph out of it, Just hook it all up and see what you think, if it dosent' soot, you can upgrade,
    to my knowledge kenwood amps are pretty close on the ratings, not way off like rockfords (low) or jensens (high)

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Putting the amp on the 8's wont hurt anything. You will get more inside the truck if you do.. You will have a better low end but nothing major like 12's would do for you. Also kenwood is decent stuff... (personally i dont like there amps but that is me).....depending on what type of 8's they are you could very easly run them at full range.. There are some out there that are top of the line that i would not suggest running at full range but there are a hell of alot that can run full range and not have a problem at all... 35 watts should be ok to push the 8's.. but later on you will want more... this thing call car-audio get very addictive....(but thats a good thing right?/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif)

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Ok I am gonna go ahead and put it in just to see how it goes. I will have to go back to the site and check out the bridge thing. I dont understand what that is exactly, bu I 've heard a lot of people say it. i dont think that counts though.

thanksa for the help

nathan

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I dont want anything major for now atleast not right now. I'm not sure i can afford any more addictions. I'm gonna throw em in and see how it goes

thanks for the help

nathan

6. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

bridging an amp is basically taking two channels and making one... it usually take the right (or left) positive and the left (or right) negitive output from the amp... then you have to look into running the speakers in series or parrallel.. basically you will need to find out if the amp is bridgable and if it is what it can be bridged into (ohm load that is).. once you know that you will need to find out what ohm load the speakers are.. then configure the speakers to get the right ohm load.. find out if the amp is bridgable, if it is what ohm it can be bridged into, and what ohm load the subs are at and let us know so we can help you get it set up correctly and not blow something up in the processes..