Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kenwood or Kicker (600 watts)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Troopie's Tonka, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

I am narrowing my choice of amps down to 2 brands. I will be pushing a kicker L712" solobaric, rated at 75-750 watts RMS, and will handle peak power of 1500 watts. It is a dual 4 ohm speaker.
    I am a little confused on the technical information on the 2 amps I am looking at. Both of these amp figures are at a 2 ohm load.
    Here they are:
    Kicker kx600.1 mono amp
    Kenwood KAC-X810D mono amp
    Price really isn't a deciding factor. On kenwood website, the recommended sell price is $750, but I can get it new for $299
    The Kicker is normally a $500-600 amp, but I can get it for $279.00 new.
    The Kicker says it will put out 600watts X 1 RMS with 13.8 volts going to it, or 690watts X 1 with 14.4 volts going to it. 1.5% THD
    THe Kenwood says it will put out 600 watts X 1 RMS with 12 volts going to it, and 800 watts X 1 RMS with 14.4 volts going to it. .5% THD
    Which one is better, and how much volts will I be able to get constant out of my alternator and battery?
    I am guessing the Kenwood is better if I know I can only get a constant 12 volt feed to the amp, or better if I can get a 14.4 volt feed. However, I have always heard that kicker amps are under-rated and actually put out more power. Can some one please help me figure this out? which amp is better for me? I personally like the kicker amp because it has a built in fan and a remote bass control that you can mount to the dash. But I want as much 'bang for my buck' as I can get. Thanks Guys!!!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Befor you buy one of those, look at MMATS . One of thier class D amps for your sub(s). I also like thier Juggernauts subwoofers.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you're gonna run a dual voice coil sub, don't ya want a stereo amp? One channel for each voice coil? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you're gonna run a dual voice coil sub, don't ya want a stereo amp? One channel for each voice coil? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Depends on what OHMs each voice coil is. (2) 4 OHMs voice coils briged together should produce a 2 OHM load at the amp if my memory is correct.

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I guess my previous answers weren't good enough, huh... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yeah, but the whole reason for dual voice coils to even exist, is so that you can capture the bass from BOTH channels with a single speaker. If you're just gonna run a mono amp to the subs, a single voice coil sub with the correct ohm rating to match the amp seems like a much better solution. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Those specs are a good start, but you need to make sure that you also find out how that power number is derived....

Is that at 1 ohm?....1/2 Ohm....4 ohms?
    Are the distortion numbers measuring from 20-20,000Hz or are they using some other method?

Take a voltmeter and test your battery with the engine stopped, and with it running. From there you'll know how close you are to 12V or 14.4V operating voltage. I'll bet good money that your system won't put out 14.4V!!!

I don't get impressed by a BIG wattage number....it's easy to get caught up in all that hype. Clean power is where it's at.....speakers don't blow from playing nice sinusoidal waveforms....they blow when the amp "clips" (distortion basically) and sends them nasty square-waves!!!! A cheap amp that blows up your expensive subs is not saving you much money....... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Solid, Powerful, Clean amps cost money..... just be careful that you're buying something actually GOOD, and not just one with a big wattage number stenciled on the heatsinks! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I'm running a pair of l7 solobarics with a Rockford Fosgate 1000bd @ 2ohms in a down fire enclosure. I tried that very Kicker amp you talk about and it does'nt sound as clean and un distorted. Dont make the mistake of using a cheap amp for those expensive subs, invest on a high class amp. You get what you pay for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I also like US Amps . They're some good chit man.

10. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

Yes, your answer remains the best so far...thank you very much. THese guys kinda lost me a little bit though. THe Kicker 600 watt amp by no means is a cheap amp, so I don't see where they are coming from. Get a stereo amP? why? All I need is one channel to push the sub. Run the dual 4 ohm coils parallel, then i get a 2ohm load at the amp. just as i thought i was set, i am even more confused...ugh!

11. rebelk5frk

The kicker amp isn't a *cheap* amp compared to many but at the same time it is the *cheaper* choice from kicker and as such doesn't have as "pretty" of specs as many other amps.

As for stereo vs mono amps, it isn't that big of a deal. Most mono amps I've seen still have stereo inputs and combine the signals internally. You're still getting the low frequency signals from both channels to the speaker.

12. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, but the whole reason for dual voice coils to even exist, is so that you can capture the bass from BOTH channels with a single speaker

[/ QUOTE ]

uh no.... The main reason is flexability in system design. Dual coils gives you a lot more options than when using single coil designs. higher/lower ohm loads with less/more speakers than with single coils.

It's easy to get bass from both channels.... many head units and crossovers have dedicated "sub outputs" where both channels are the same anyway. Not to mention most mono amps have dual "left/right" inputs.