Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kerry's first Purple Heart - for a self inflicted wound?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shaggy, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Kerry\'s first Purple Heart - for a self inflicted wound?

I thought that just about every reasonable person had conceded the fact that we'll never really know the whole story about Kerry in Vietnam. THere's just too many conflicting stories. Anyways, it seems that last night one of Kerry's advisors said that "it is possible his first Purple Heart was awarded for an unintentionally self-inflicted wound." Interesting.

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/002317.php

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Kerry\'s first Purple Heart - for a self inflicted wound?

i like how he specifically noted that it was "unintentional"... as if there might be some doubt about that...

j

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My Grandfather, who was a Paratrooper in the 17th airborne WWII, survived three different battle campaigns (Rhineland, Ardennes, and Central Europe) without a scratch, but received a purple heart for a slight case of frostbite on his toes. Go figure?

4. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought that just about every reasonable person had conceded the fact that we'll never really know the whole story about Kerry in Vietnam. THere's just too many conflicting stories. Anyways, it seems that last night one of Kerry's advisors said that "it is possible his first Purple Heart was awarded for an unintentionally self-inflicted wound." Interesting.

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/002317.php

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you Shaggy. Way too many conflicting stories and we'll never really know the whole story about Kerry in Vietnam.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. jekbrown

Dole made a pretty good point... '3 purple hearts and the guy never spent significant time in the hospital or bled as far as I can tell'. No question Dole earned his. My dad has 2 retired friends at work, one had 2 purple hearts, the other has 4. They both had multiple other occassions where they didn't consider a wound worthy and made sure higher ups didn't put them up for medals they didn't think they deserved. I mean, when you are under fire, trip and cut your leg on your own bayonet or something... its hard to accept the same medal that a guy who just got both his legs blown off got. Of course, if you're goal is to get 3, then it all makes sense.

j

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

10-4 on the Sen. Dole comments, I heard him on the radio the other day. Three purple hearts and your out, hence the 4 month tour in Vietnam. Their is so much information revolving around Vietnam right now, I resent Kerry for bringing it up.

Dole also stated Kerry did not sponser one single major bill in the Senate in 19 years in the Senate.

Their was an Airman on the radio, a P.O.W. for 7 years in the Hanoi Hilton, who said he was told, while a prisoner, that a one Lt. Kerry was saying that the Americans were committing war crimes in Vietnam. This emboldened his captors.

I feel like I have to go take a shower after hearing stuff like that.

P.S. To Kerry supporters. I regret I do not have the name and specifics on the Airman. He was on the Sean Hannity radio program yesterday.

Time to rinse off now.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Like I said in another post, to me it's not what he did while he was there, but what he did when he came back. His campaign slogan ought to be something like this:

John Kerry: Hating America since 1971

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

word..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Not self-inflicted like shooting himself in the foot. But the charge is he shot a gernade launcher too close to the boat and got hit with a fragment.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Reguardless to whether it was self inflicted or not, a wound in a combat zone technically can qualify for a purple heart.

I've heard of air creman dropping missiles on their feet and breaking it, only to go to the hospital and get a purple heart despite having never even seen the enemy their entire tour in Saudi Arabia.

11. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Reguardless to whether it was self inflicted or not, a wound in a combat zone technically can qualify for a purple heart

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK, you actually have to be in combat... not just in a combat zone.

in any case, I have no problem with a guy getting a purple heart from a self-inflicted wound... but parading around beating your own chest about it is pretty ghey IMO when there are some guys out there who are 6' underground and earned their one purple heart.

j