Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Kert / DIY4x owns all.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jan 8, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not generally the type to heap praise upon 4x4 shops, but I do from time to time when I think its warranted. A while back, the NWF crew helped me get some parts from WMS when they were transitioning ownership, even though it was doubler-related (and therefore a competitor to NWF!). Awesome stuff. Anyway... rewind a bit...

I currently have a ORD flip with revolver shackles. These have served me well but I wanted to change my rear suspension some and was looking for something more flexible. Enter DIY/Kert. As most of you know, Kert's flip allows the use of traditional "plate style" shackles. This is very handy, because making custom-length ones is a snap, even for a shade-tree fab guy like myself.

Kerts standard flip was a good price and had the features I wanted... but I wanted it slightly customized. The DIY flip is VERY beefy, and I thought that it would be a good starting point for what I wanted to do. Basically, the plan was to add some "speed holes" to both lighten the brackets and to tie the aesthetics of the brackets in with the rest of the rig (which doesn't have a whole lot of speed holes now, but will!). Anyway, I drew a really crappy pic in MS paint of what I wanted and sent it off to Kert. He said "no problem!".

Not very long later, my custom flip arrived. The flip brackets were great... but they weren't quite what I was thinking as far as the styling goes. Functionally they were perfect... but they weren't what I wanted. I sent Kert a pm along with an AutoCAD 3d model I had drawn using the dimensions off the flip I had in-hand. I was kinda worried that there might be some kind of restocking fee or shipping fees or whatever, because it is a custom piece and I didn't know how returns on custom stuff would work.

Kert was cooler than the other side of the pillow. He said a flip like my CAD drawing was no problem and that returning the other brackets was no problem either. Pretty damn cool. Today I get home from a long monday at work... and there is a box on my porch... from DIY! woohoo! I tore that sucker open and these were inside...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sweet! Here is a bad rendering of the CAD model I sent Kert for reference. He did a beautiful job making my not-so-well-done model a reality.

[​IMG]

Pretty close eh? As if it wasn't cool-looking enough, I shed a few pounds with all the holes. A standard type flip (both brackets) is right around 30 lbs on my bathroom scale... and the "holy flip" is closer to 25. Every little bit helps!

Anyway, just wanted to post this up. Kert / DIY... you went above and beyond. When its time to beadlock the 44s, I'm goin' DIY!

j

ps: I get the feeling you might be getting a bunch more orders for customized flips... :grin:

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Kerts the man!! Nice flips, did he send the board game also.

3. jekbrown

nope, thats one of my wife's christmas presents from her brother. ;)

j

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice work, a usual.

5. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Great looking brackets, DIY4X does awesome work. You won't be disapointed with the beadlocks, just started welding mine up last week.:bow:

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I gotta take some more pics of custom beadlock's that Kert did for me. Man they are awesome. :bow:

7. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I've got sky flips on mine right now but those are freakin cool.....
    George

8. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

oh great jek, see what ya started, now were all gonna want some of these :D . those are cool. I have been wanting DIY flips for some time, just need to hold off on spending right now. I have ORD's but I have decided to put those on the burb when its time to lift it.

9. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ive seen some of Kert's work, like the brackets, and have even used some of his parts that out lasted the rest of the truck. I wouldnt hesitate to praise him or purchase his products again.

10. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

:haha: That's a good one liner JEK :haha:

Anyways, Kert is the man. Always answers PM's and is willing to help out with whatever thing I need or question I might have! He deserves to be lauded here in the CK5 Garage!

11. jekbrown

yeah, even if someone doesn't want the exact same thing... I think I may have opened up a door to a flood of modded-flip-bracket orders for Kert. Sorry mang! ;) :grin: :thumb:

As I've said in other threads, I really like that DIY/Kert is "small shop" enough that he answers PMs/emails and is open to product ideas/custom stuff which some of the big guys might not even want to mess with.... but at the same time he is "big shop" enough to have the fab tools / skills to make high end stuff. Its a pretty damn good combo and I'm sure its gonna bode well for DIYs bottom line. I just hope Kert doesn't get tooooo rich and go "4wpw" on us or something. ;) :grin:

In my thread about 44" TSLs, Kert has already said he has a good idea for some custom beadlocks that are similarly themed to the flip brackets I have... gonna be cool to see what we can come up with. :)

j

12. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    props to Kert. he's great. he built a engine x-member for my '72 & did great work. got it right the first time too. i'll be giving him a buzz for my rock rings. i'm looking at the 5 hole & mudlock units. just wondering if there's any advantage to using the DIY flip VS the ORD flip??

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

13. jekbrown

DIY flip offers 2 advantages.

a) the little brackets that go on the inside of the frame and have the nuts welded to them are better than a few washers/bolts.

b) (the big one) you can use plate-style shackles... instead of the harder-to-fab-yourself "Y" type shackles.. like stock ones. This is kinda handy if you are the type of guy that will probably mess with your shackle length, spring length, axle location etc etc etc all the time. ;)

The ORD flip is fine and has served me well... I just want more mounting/spring/shackle options.

j

14. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    oh ok...i need to figure out my shackle angle still...but i plan on tack welding it on, figuring out the important stuff, then bolting it on...anyway i don't have the $ to spend on another flip kit :(

15. jekbrown

me neither... I'll be selling my ORD brackets though, out of pocket shouldn't be bad at all.

j

16. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Then why don't you shave? :D

17. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I found out yesterday that PMs have a 5000 digit limit on them. It was to Kert. Great guy, great service, great products! Still small enough do do custom one off stuff without trying to rape you. Gotta love that.

18. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Geez, you guys are makin' me blush! :D

Thanks for all the praise guys! Much appreciated! I always do my best.

"I just hope Kert doesn't get tooooo rich and go "4wpw" on us or something."

Ain't never gona happen! Well, the 4wpw part anyway. I'd like to get rich but this is the wrong business for that. From what they tell me if you want to be rich, Drugs, guns, womens, or polotics!:haha:

19. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

All your Blaze, are belong to Kert!

who knows that?

20. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Somebody set us up the bomb..... :D