Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

key doesn't start. Must tap remote solenoid. HELP !!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Apr 1, 2002.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

key doesn\'t start. Must tap remote solenoid. HELP !!

ok here we go.
    In the past, about 3 times, the key wouldn't start the 350 82k5. Now the key won't start it at all. (to start it i would hit the two terminals on the solenoid) The starter is recent and has been checked, it works just fine. trust me on that part. I installed a ford remote solemoid (which i have another question on later) today and the key still won't work. but i do need to the key in the "on" position to click the terminals on the reomote solenoid to start it and the key turns it off. battery cables are good. I fiqure the problem is inbetween the "s terminal" wire and the actual ignition key acuator thingy or something like that. any ideas ?

also, i have the ford soleniod that lays flat if your know what i mean (all of the posts are sticking straight upward) and i can't tell which side that the live battery cable goes to. I tried testing by clicking the live end and the s terminal both ways but the solenoid doesn't "get working" like either way. here is a pic looking straight down at it:
    --------- s ----------
    B1----------------B2
    -------- L -----------
    which "B" post should the live wire go to ? i tap both "b" terminals to get the truck running.
    thanks for reading my novel
    Blake

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: key doesn\'t start. Must tap remote solenoid. HELP !!

It could be your ignition switch. My Jimmy did that about 4 years ago. I used the opportunity to add a push button starter switch low on the dash. I do still need to turn my key to the 'on' position to start it, but I can now spin it over without power to the distributor to help with the hot start blues...

Rene

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Check to see if you have a bad connection or a cable grounding out on a header or exhaust manifold down by the starter. next set woulkd be checking for power at the ignition switch and the nuteral saftey switch or clutch switch depending on if you have an auto or stick. If you have an auto... slip the shifter to Nuteral and see if it starts... if it does that is your problem, if not it still could be the nuteral switch, but at least if it does start you nailed down the problem

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

THANKS !! I have an auto and it started right up in neutral !! Now, where is the neutral safety switch(around the column ?) and anything special to replace it and how much does that part cost ? thanks so much for the info.
    Blake

5. ol_grayfeather

ol_grayfeather Registered Member

The neutral safety switch is up on the top of the streering column clear against the fire wall. There should be two stes of wires, mine are purple and green, the green ones are for the back up lights. Mine went out a few days ago and all I did was just run a jumper wire in the connector of the purple wires. If you didnt replace the switch I'd just wire nut the two wires together. Just make a mental note not to start it unless its in park or neutral. I dont know what it would do to the tranny.............

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Never replaced one on one of these trucks but it is usually on the steering coulmn. The part is pretty cheap... most times they are between 5 and 20 bucks.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Doesn't hurt it, just means you start moving as soon as it starts. Just a "we can't let you hurt yourself, idiot" feature.