Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

key hard to turn

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pto blazer, Nov 27, 2006.

1. pto blazer

pto blazer Registered Member

I recently moved to where its cold (-20 F.), I got a battery blanket and a block heater in my Blazer but the key to start it is real hard to turn, real hard. I use the tabs beside the key so I don't snap it. Why is it like this and what can I do about it, other than putting an electric heater in the cab? Thanks for the help, Jim, Prince George B.C.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First off, using the ears on the lock cylinder will lead to THOSE twisting off. They aren't real solid either unfortunately.

Might be that you've got some grease in the column that hardens up with the cold, perhaps removing that would solve your problem. I'd check that the ignition switch at the base of the column isn't the problem first though. Disconnect it from the column and see if the key moves easily then. If not, it's in the column. :(

3. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got the same problem with my truck when I forget to plug in the heater ;) .