Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Key on 1st generations

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheBlazerKid, Aug 4, 2000.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Im having a little problem with the lock mechanism on the rear hatch of my 71. i dont have a clue which key unlocks it, is it the ignition key?? I replaced the tumblers in the ignition and threw the old key in the pile so I'd have to find it again. i have one that works for the doors but it wont work on the hatch......i dunno!?!?

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Reports are that from the factory, the same key operated the ignition, door locks, and the rear hatch. Many tops, and other parts have been swapped on these trucks over the years, so there aren't a lot of them left that still work that way.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

My service and the assybly Manuels say that the doors, glove box and ignition were one key and the hatch had a diffrent type of key all on its own, most of the repro shops like LMC or ChevyDuty sell look set that are ever thing but the hatch. I even tyed once to get all the lock set to the same key and was told that the hatch just could not use the GM key.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken