Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Key problemo

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DUKE, Mar 8, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

OK. About two days ago the ignition keystarted being a pain getting out. Fiddle with it for 5 min and eventually turn off the truck. Today i get home break the f*&$#er off. I call my insurance co. roadside thing. some A@# comes grabs a pair of vise grips and rips the key out. I say heck i could have done that, thanks allot. and tells me $150 to replace it. So i take everything appart and keep screwing around with the whole set up and here is were i stand. I can get the key out, but only in the "on" position. I can start it. And i can turn off the truck by slowly stalling it. NOW WHAT?
    ps if something need clearification, let me know. Im not the best at exsplaining things

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

just get a new ignition from the parts store they are under $20 and are easy to do the worst thing you need to do is pull the steering wheel and you can rent a puller at most auto parts stores

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

most locksmiths can come out and remove the entire tumbler assembly without removing the wheel...then they can put a new one in that matches your key. otherwise just pull the wheel go for it.