Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Key switch for power rear window...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bowtied, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Hey guys, Here is what I got. On my 87, the rear window works with the dash switch, but it will only go down by the rear keyed switch. I think the contacts in the switch have been going bad for a while because it's gotten worse and now does'nt work at all. My question is, how do I gain access to the switch and where can I buy a new switch?
    Thanks in advanced for your help,
    Andy

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I bought a whole new assembly for the tailgate and it still doesn't work, I've had the motor out and it tested o.k....... I'm stumped ????? CAn it be put in up side down where as the correct contacts aren't being made ?????

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

3. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

OK, here is the deal, I just did mine.

The key switch has a small white cap on the end which corrodes (spelling) over time and finally goes bad. LMC offers this switch for about $50 bucks. The removal and replacement is a PITA. In order to keep the same key for the doors and rear window, just replace the bad white cap with the new white cap from the new switch. Search earlier posts from last month. There is a post with pictures of how this is done. My advice is while you have all the parts out, replace the window channels and the cut out switch. They probably need replacement anyways and you will have most of the parts out anyways....might as well replace them. Good luck.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> But can it be put in up side down and not work ????

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

5. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Riz:

Ya know....I really think that the white cap is screwup proof if I remember right. I had an earlier problem with very similar symptoms and it was a pinched and shorted our wire where the driver side tailgate wire harness exits the tailgate and enters the rear undercarriage. Check out those wires and see if any are exposed or pinched. Otherwise, did you replace the cutout switch on the passenger side? Those are the only things I can think of now.

Chris

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Riz, you put the saftey cut out switch in on the driver's side tailgate latch??? That will cut power if it isn't on, on wrong, or broken. Check it out, and no, you can't put anything in upside down in there, I just converted to manual to relieve my head from all of the aches the electric one gave me.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

7. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

The white cap only holds the wires on and I believe is mounted to the hot pin or the ground for the switch. The actual switch is inside the key assembly, it's shaped like a horse shoe and has a cam that is rocked back and forth by the key. I wasn't careful when removing the white cap and yanked the pin out, so any chance of cleaning and reusing went out the window. I bought a new switch/key assy. from the dealer for about $35.00. Unfortunately the assy is so well put together I couldn't take it apart and use the original locking cylinder. So now I have a seperate key for the tail gate. The job is doable, but messy what with the grease on the gears and all. Open the gate and trip the latch on the fenders. Open the window and support it with a lawn chair or horse. Now you have acces to the guts (after removing the access panel). I think there's 3 or 4 bolts to remove and slide the mechanism out of the way. The chrome lock assy is mounted with two bolts. Once you take that out you can remove the lock cylinder/switch. Good luck.

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Also in addition to what everybody says, check the wire harnes exposed between the truck and the tailgate. Especialy if you have a towing hitch installed long time ago. They would wire the electrics using cheap clamp-on's and the wire's starts to corode. I found a big lump in the main power wire, looked like a snake had swallowed a squirl, The wire had probably been poked with the test-light needle and allowed corrosion to start building. The lump was full of green powder and the wire was badly burnt.

I also have the pictures he was talking about that shows the teardown in easy stages. Just go to:

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Welcome to my world.... I took my tailgate apart and now it doesn't work at all instead of only going up with the key... I think the contacts are dirty and I didn't clean it out well enough. Try cleaning them really well and then everything else in there.... once all the gummed up crud is gone it will make a difference, too bad I didn't follow my own advice the first time!

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Ben, do you have a pic of the cut off swith you're talking about ? Not sure about it.

L8r,

11. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

No I don't have a picture of it, but I'll tell you about it. It is on inside of the gate, on the driver's side. It is just a little switch that touches the latch itself. WHen the latch is open, the switch moves cutting power to the motor. when it is closed power can go to the motor. Just 2 wires run to it, but those wires are part of the harness, or should be. Just stick your head in there and look at the driver's side latch from the inside and you'll either see it, or not, if not, that is your problem. Since you said you replaced stuff, you may have forgotten to do that because you didn't even know about it. Hope this helps.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

12. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

You can buy a new dash switch at the dealer, varied from each one between 15.00-20.00. The rear key switch comes as a whole assy and the dealer sells that one for around $44.00. If anyone around doesn't have access to these at their local dealer I could get them for you and ship them to you. I may even be able to get better prices on them, because I have a wholesale account with my local dealer.

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> THANKS , BEN !

L8r,

14. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Hey,
    Thanks for all the good info. I think I'll try to get to it this weekend and try cleaning it up a bit, maybe with some contact cleaner. Of course iff that does'nt work it'll be time to buy a new one!
    Thanks Again

Andy

15. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I had the same probelm and asked the same question, although I didn;t get as many responses, i did eventually fix the problem. the white switch had eroded. instead of buying a new piece for $35-50 I took it to a television repairman. he charged me two dollars cleaned it up and welded a new piece in for me out of copper. Also look at all connections and test them to be sure you are getting electricity all the way to the key switch&gt; i believe it is an orange and black wire.this is connected to a switch which can come unplugged, you have to look in when you have the guts out and check that connection by the driver's side of the get upper left hand. check all connections back there. It isn't very hard to do took all in all about 2hr with the weld job.

16. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

If it works inside the cab and not at the back it is probably a wire. There are two hot wires from the front of the vehicle. One is only hot when you push the switch in the front and the other is permanetely hot up to the switch. There is a connecter in the back near the wiring for the tail lights. Mine was cut before i got it and i think the person that put the hitch on did it. The wires are thick that control the tailgate. They are probably 10-12 gauge. Hope that helps. Later- Doug

Doug Krebs