Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

key wont come out of my steering column!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86Cucvbeater, Oct 3, 2005.

1. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

so I ordered a new lock cylinder. when i took the old cylinder out the key came right out so I know the key being stuck has nothing to do with the cylinder itself. its something else. thats as far as I got tho because it got dark on me. So before I go out there tomorrow and dive into the steering column some more, anyone have an idea what the problem could be? In the steering column diagram I have, it looks like the possible problems could be the 'sector', the 'ignition switch actuator rack' or the 'ignition switch actuator rod'. Im thinking maybe this rod the diagram speaks of is bent because my tranny shifter doesnt seem to be going all the way to park. Anyhow, any opinions or what to look out for would be greatly appreciated as I havn't gone this far into the column before.. oh yeah, I have a standard non tilt column with th400 auto tranny :)

2. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

if your key is real worn looking you probably do need the new lock. mine had the same problem until i replaced the cylinder.

3. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

can you turn the key backwards and all the way forwards? It's probably the rod, and if not, it's more than likely the ignition switch.

4. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

Yes it will go all the way forwards and start the truck like normal. But when I try to pull it backwards i get some tension and the key wont pull out. The key pulls out fine if I take the ignition cylinder out of the column, so I do not think it is the cylinder.. How hard will it be to replace the rod? And by ignition switch, do you mean the key cylinder or something else? Thanks

5. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

check the rod operation then.