Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Keyless entry used as a kill switch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Mar 1, 2007.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Is there anyway to rig up a keyless entry system like the one pictured below to be used as a kill switch? My thoughts...when you "unlock the doors" it will connect or provide power to an ignition wire/fuel pump wire thus completing the circuit and enabling the truck to start. However, when you "lock the doors" it disconnects or halts power to an ignition wire/fuel pump wire. Would a seperate relay be needed in order to make that work? I haven't yet dug into the instructions on the keyless entry to see if it's even possible..but it sounds good in theory. That way you wouldn't have a kill switch available in the truck for the thief to see/find. I am thinking about doing something like this for the summer use...no doors and soft top because it will be easy to get into and access. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. K-5 Bomber

K-5 Bomber 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a great idea! I would be able to wire the whole works though one system, but even if you needed a secondary kit, it would still be worth it. I've been thinking about that myself. I may be going to Galt for a while this summer, but I still want to be able to go with my safari top. Let me know how this works out.

3. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

On the Viper alarms I install most have a built in starter kill relay, basically you would put a relay inline with your starter wire, I can look for a diagram at work and post it if I can find one.

4. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I would love this for my truck let me know how it goes.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

My recallection is that most of those systems are designed to operate a solenoid. They aren't a switch, their output is a reversable polarity momentary signal. You could use a power door lock solenoid to operate a switch in whatever circuit you desire.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

sounds sweet. keep us posted

7. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have done that. Most of those systems have a starter disable feature when the doors are locked. That usually works by supplying ground to a relay when the doors are locked. They are designed to ground a relay and open the starter solenoid wire circuit so the vehicle cannot be started. However, my MSD 6AL has a feature where if you ground the white wire, it shuts off the spark. So I simply hooked up the wire thats grounded from the keyless entry to the white wire on the MSD, bingo. Now when the doors are locked the engine won't start. And the really funny part is (because you can mess with people) if the vehicle is running and you hit the button it locks the doors and shuts the engine off. However, I take no responsibility if someone accidentally shuts off their engine when going down the road and has problems because of it. If you don't have an MSD, you can use the relay and either disable the starter with the doors locked, or put a relay in the coil power wire (battery + on an HEI) and it will shut the spark off. You can buy a 30A relay for $3 at many auto parts stores, just make sure you hook it up to the normally closed side of the relay. There will be a diagram on the relay. Hope this helps.:wink1:

8. jfaulk

jfaulk Registered Member

great idea. let us know how it works out for you. also, this would be a good opportunity for a tech write up. I'm interested in this idea myself.

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Wow I didn't think there was going to be this much interest...I figured it would be more like "you idiot that's never gonna work" lol I will have to look at the instructions and see if it's even possible with that system...it's a factory GM unit as you can tell but it's also pretty old, so hopefully I will be able to use it...we shall see

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm interested as well, likely in the starter kill option. No ignition on a diesel...

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

No there isn't, but with a latching relay you could easily turn the pump solenoid circuit on and off.

Thinking about it, could do the same thing with the crank circuit on a gasser.